• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF dropped from D1 baseball poll

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

He's been outstanding in 9 of 12 starts. 

I wouldn't call any start under 7 innings outstanding, quality but not outstanding. To me he has had 1 outstanding start, 7 good starts, and 4 awful starts (because we differ on the Houston start). We need more out of an ace. That kind of inconstancy from the ace spot isn't going to take us very far. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I wouldn't call any start under 7 innings outstanding, quality but not outstanding. To me he has had 1 outstanding start, 7 good starts, and 4 awful starts (because we differ on the Houston start). We need more out of an ace. That kind of inconstancy from the ace spot isn't going to take us very far. 

:lmao:

lol, whatever.  The hate is unreal ......  he's had 3 awful starts and 9 very very good starts period

And he has done exactly what was expected at the beginning of the year.  He is and was going to be erratic.  He has and was going to miss a lot of bats.  Both of which were going to lead to shorter starts.  We knew that we would need the bullpen to come through.  Like I said he has more than done his job on 9 out of 12 occasions.  Getting 7 or 8 innings out of him on a regular basis would have been more than a pleasant surprise.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I don't think it's hate.  I think it is a response to high expectations about our ace and his potential to be a Top 5 MLB draft pick.  Like the ace of any staff, you look for him to be efficient and effective and deliver in the W-L ledger.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

I don't think it's hate.  I think it is a response to high expectations about our ace and his potential to be a Top 5 MLB draft pick.  Like the ace of any staff, you look for him to be efficient and effective and deliver in the W-L ledger.

Yeah, i don't even think its expectations of a top 5 pick, just the typical expectations of an ace. 

I liked the AJ Puk comparison that was made earlier, we just don't get to use him like UF used Puk ( who also had a stellar Dane Dunning to support his breakdowns). Puk got to play third fiddle to Shore and Faedo 

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's hate when you say a guy that didn't allow an earned run until his 4th or 5th start and has only allowed 1 or 2 in a few more has only had 1 outstanding start.  

He has sucked in 3 starts, but he has been outstanding in the other 9.   Saying otherwise is hate. I pointed out a couple of other teams that have been lit up multiple times on Friday nights.   We're not the only ones

AJ Puk didn't play second fiddle. He was below .500 for the year, ERA over 3 and a ton of walks.  He had much more quality depth behind him, but he was supposed to be the man.   It isn't SM's fault that he doesn't have other studs behind him on the staff.  Overall he's probably pitched better than Puk did.  Like I said above, he's given us very, very good starts 9 out of 12 times.  Would love to have 12 out of 12, but that's not realistic especially with his skillset.

Edited by chapelbull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Disagreeing with interpretation of performance is not hate. 

It's hate in today's dialogue unfortunately. 

Sitting here watching "news" channels with my ailing father (his "hobby" is TV news), is indicative of a lot of blind hate.   And of course hate speech must be stamped out, hence none of us can talk to each other. 

I really don't think that "hate" relationship exists between fans (mentally sound variety) and college players.  But your hate may be another's criticism.  I'll just leave that out there.  And move on.  Stick to one's own facts and opinions, and judge not.

I'm using "hate" in the general sense my friend.  I don't mean that he want's to beat him up (although I have to wonder if SM stole the girlfriend of one of these posters at some point or another, j/k).  Sorry, but I find it hard to interpret 5 starts without allowing an earned run and 3 allowing just 1 anything but outstanding without bring "hate" into the discussion.  I guess that's just me.

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

AJ Puk didn't play second fiddle. He was below .500 for the year, ERA over 3 and a ton of walks.  He had much more quality depth behind him, but he was supposed to be the man. 

If AJ Puk was supposed to be the "man", then why did Logan Shore start every Friday? When the season got tight, Puk was a bullpen arm. 

55 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Sorry, but I find it hard to interpret 5 starts without allowing an earned run and 3 allowing just 1 anything but outstanding without bring "hate" into the discussion.

Because only four of his quality starts have come against teams ranked in the top 100 in RPI and two of those are ranked 90 and 97. Against the top 100, he's 2-4. When add in the fact he has only surpassed the 7 inning mark once, and I don't know how you interpret his performance as anything other than average to above average for an ace. 

I don't "hate" SM, I just expect more out an ace.