• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2018 QB Mike Penix

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/16/2017 at 9:27 PM, Mama_Bull said:

Josh Newberg Retweeted Mike Penix

FSU, USF or Indiana?

Josh Newberg added,

Mike Penix @_tech9mike
Signing Day‼️ December 20th 1pm @ Tampa Bay Tech HS

Bulls247 have him to IU. I read recently that our Bulls currently have the second best class in the American to this point behind Cincinnati. I’ve been reading through all the recruiting reports I can and it seems we’re not winning very many recruiting battles. I feel like we not getting any splash players, like Q. I’m basing that on the star rating system, which is probably a worthless and baseless system. I’m very concerned about the Bulls inability to land any “game-breakers”.  I guess we’ll see what happens. Btw thanks for all the great recruiting updates you always provide. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  28

47 minutes ago, bullfan04 said:

Bulls247 have him to IU. I read recently that our Bulls currently have the second best class in the American to this point behind Cincinnati. I’ve been reading through all the recruiting reports I can and it seems we’re not winning very many recruiting battles. I feel like we not getting any splash players, like Q. I’m basing that on the star rating system, which is probably a worthless and baseless system. I’m very concerned about the Bulls inability to land any “game-breakers”.  I guess we’ll see what happens. Btw thanks for all the great recruiting updates you always provide. 

i like our 2 current quarterbacks. Go look up the tapes on our recruits. We are good this year. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

41 minutes ago, bullfan04 said:

Well, we are no longer in a BCS (P6) conference. When we were, we were  able to compete much better for talent, especially against mid level BCS schools.

FWIW, Q like Grothe and Daniels, was recruited at other positions by the bigger schools. So, at the time, they were not considered 'splash' players at QB.

The recruiting ceiling at USF has been lowered as a result of being in a G5 conference. There is only so much that any coach can do about that.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803

11 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Well, we are no longer in a BCS (P6) conference. When we were, we were  able to compete much better for talent, especially against mid level BCS schools.

FWIW, Q like Grothe and Daniels, was recruited at other positions by the bigger schools. So, at the time, they were not considered 'splash' players at QB.

The recruiting ceiling at USF has been lowered as a result of being in a G5 conference. There is only so much that any coach can do about that.

The players we are getting are impressive on tape and have a good head on their shoulders. We aren't getting any all American world beaters, but the good solid kids we are getting can be coached up to best anybody.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

13 hours ago, bullfan04 said:

QF was never a "splash" player at QB. He was an ATH that was rated based on projections at positions other than QB. 

And the star rating system continues to be excellent at projecting future success.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/2/10889856/national-signing-day-rankings-ncaa-football

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808

1 hour ago, bullcocky101 said:

The players we are getting are impressive on tape and have a good head on their shoulders. We aren't getting any all American world beaters, but the good solid kids we are getting can be coached up to best anybody.

Skip is that you?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

13 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

This

13 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

i like our 2 current quarterbacks. Go look up the tapes on our recruits. We are good this year. 

I’m not saying that any of the recruits are not good. I believe you when the tapes are good. I’m hoping we are good at QB for a few years. 

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

QF was never a "splash" player at QB. He was an ATH that was rated based on projections at positions other than QB. 

And the star rating system continues to be excellent at projecting future success.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/2/10889856/national-signing-day-rankings-ncaa-football

I respectfully disagree, Q was a splash player. His stats, USF records, and the football program’s rise since he took over at qb is proof of that. Regardless of how he was listed by schools who were actively recruiting him he was a four star player. Q was getting offers for major P5’s just not at QB. We obviously recruited him at QB. My point was that we and other American Conference teams usually can get the occasional 4 star player. I haven’t seen that yet this cycle, but it’s not over until it’s over. It seems so far we haven’t been winning any of the big recruiting battles.

15 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

It’s a great point you make and I do understand that. When I say splash players I’m mean 4 and 5 star players  with high potential to be impact guys at any position . Q, I believe, was a four star recruit. I believe we may have landed a few other 4 star players since we were relegated to the land of G5’s. I could certainly wrong about that of course. UCF looks to be signing Richardson a  4 star RB from Memphis.

I know CCS is touted as seasoned recruiter. I was hoping we’d win one or two of the battles and land one of the big fishes. I also understand this class could turn out to be the great USF class ever so by no means am I down on this class.