• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tulsa Post Game Presser

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

1 minute ago, El_Toro_86 said:

If it's something he doesn't work on much in practice, he probably lacks the confidence.

Well I've got no idea what is going on in practice.  Maybe that's the case.  But those throws to Wilcox and a couple of other balls to receivers over the middle were nowhere close.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

22 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

This may be part of it but I don't think Q likes to throw the ball over the middle.  Just a feeling I have. 

He had no issues throwing those pop passes in the past. I was perplexed to see him miss on throws he's hit many times in the past. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

9 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Either that or they thought the offense that got them fired at Texas would play in a weaker conference.

Devil's advocate:  We're 9-1.  

4 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Charlie Strong is known to play down to opponents. He plays bad teams close.

Doesn't that imply the opposite, that he plays good teams well?  Maybe we'll blow out UCF?  

4 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

This may be part of it but I don't think Q likes to throw the ball over the middle.  Just a feeling I have. 

I can't understand why a QB wouldn't want to throw over the middle.  It's the shortest path to a touchdown.  QBs like throwing touchdowns, right?  Last I heard, they did.

Not sure why we can't agree that it's ABSOLUTELY been a combination of playcalling and execution as to why so many of us are dissatisfied with the offense this year.  

I do blame Gilbert for too drastically changing an offense that was, even though a couple of playmakers were lost, still with a lot of talent, with the chance to be high-powered.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Coaches are responsible for execution too. Coaches run the practice. Coaches give guidance on the decision making. Coaches teach the skill techniques. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think yesterday was more execution in the second and third quarters. The fourth quarter was just a display of confused and unimaginative play calling. I should not even call it play calling. Just a mish mash of plays called without rhyme or reason.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

My take is Gilbert is running the offense the way CCS wants it run.  

CWT recruited Flowers as a QB.  Strong recruited Flowers as an athlete.

I don't believe Strong  has faith in Q as a QB, where as CWT did even though it took him a while and some cajoling to open up the playbook for him.

Strong is running the offense based on what he thinks Flowers is capable of, i.e. Running game and safe throws (sidelines/go routes).  How often do we throw over the middle?  Hardly ever.  Because they don't have the faith him.

I feel bad for Q.

Not trying to be negative. They called 2 throws to the TE last night. One was 7 pts and the other likely a big gain. He missed them terribly.

The first half offense had alot more creativity to it. Balls to the RB out of the backfield...jet sweeps...wr screens...long td run up the middle. The reality is most don't like the offense. They put up plenty of pts in the first half. The second half had 5 completions I think out of 15-17 attempts? Execution played a big part. It's not as flashy but I'm hoping one if the kids next yr can sling it. We might get to see this offense. Q will lay it all on the line next week for his team and school. I doubt we see him slide!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

29 minutes ago, mjadams said:

Not trying to be negative. They called 2 throws to the TE last night. One was 7 pts and the other likely a big gain. He missed them terribly.

The first half offense had alot more creativity to it. Balls to the RB out of the backfield...jet sweeps...wr screens...long td run up the middle. The reality is most don't like the offense. They put up plenty of pts in the first half. The second half had 5 completions I think out of 15-17 attempts? Execution played a big part. It's not as flashy but I'm hoping one if the kids next yr can sling it. We might get to see this offense. Q will lay it all on the line next week for his team and school. I doubt we see him slide!

That's not a play call. That was the result of one of our many runs up the middle.