• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I didn't want to name the thread 4th and 24...but... As soon as the announcers said "USF has a wall of defenders at the first down marker", I was worried.

Why would Brian Jean-Mary have our defense in such a prevent mode there? I can see guarding the line, but, can't you do it with 6 defenders instead of 8? I feel like we only rushed 3 on the play and everyone else was back in coverage. We had been getting to the QB all night with pressure and forcing him to throw before he wanted to.

I personally would have had a standard 4 man front and a LB delay/spy. Not heavy pressure by the LB, but, enough to make sure the QB couldn't escape and buy too much time. Our secondary is pretty good for the most part, I would tend to not drop back like that unless we don't have anyone who can cover. You get to the QB, rush his throw and it's game over.

As upset as I am about the offense which I still ultimately believe cost us the game because they have been neutered under this coaching staff... that one decision tells me that Strong/BJM are not the "go for the throat" guys that are needed to run a defense. Good defenses thrive for that situation to have the lead and get a stop in that situation to seal the deal on a game. Either they are not confident in the defense, or, they are just scared.

I am mostly over it. I can't explain how I felt Saturday and yesterday, I just hurt for the guys on the team, specifically QF who seems to have had so much taken from him this year when he should have thrived.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm no defensive coordinator, but I'd have called the "stick your hand in front of ball" play on 4-24. I think BJM called for "try and pad your stats with a needless INT" instead. **** that guy.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Seriously, just knock the ball down.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

I'm no defensive coordinator, but I'd have called the "stick your hand in front of ball" play on 4-24. I think BJM called for "try and pad your stats with a needless INT" instead. **** that guy.

Yes I am sure he said "Guys, Don't worry about the win Go try to get the stats". Players were in the right position and didn't make the play to knock it down. The hate on the coaching staff is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I personally would have had a standard 4 man front and a LB delay/spy. Not heavy pressure by the LB, but, enough to make sure the QB couldn't escape and buy too much time. Our secondary is pretty good for the most part, I would tend to not drop back like that unless we don't have anyone who can cover. You get to the QB, rush his throw and it's game over.

We actually did pretty much exactly what you said. We rushed 3 and then had Reaves delay/spy. They chipped the end with the rb which is what allowed the QB to get outside the pocket. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think BJM has done a great job with the defense, I am not really hating on him at all. I just didn't like that call in that situation. It was the epitome of "playing not to lose" vs. "playing to win". It's a fluke thing, I am amazed that the guy caught that ball. It was one play that I felt differently about than we did.

As B&B said, maybe we did bring a 4th guy, I didn't see it and I refuse to watch the play again. Live, I felt like we dropped everyone back and didn't do anything to collapse a pocket and try to keep him bottled up. S happens I guess.

I have really liked BJM as well. Didn't have any huge problems with the defense. Although I'm sure we prepped somewhat for King at QB I doubt we expected them to use him all game like they did. Really added a totally different wrinkle to their offense. 

I don't mind rewatching the bad plays and seeing what went wrong. Once I've experienced the pain live it never seems to hurt as much(side note as a bucs fan as well the one exception to this rule is the 2003 bucs colts game). Their offense essentially had 5 plays the entire game.

1) Deep td over Hoggins. Not much to say on this one. Hoggins can't let his man run by him, probably got caught sleeping since they barely passed all game. Should have taken the PI and made them earn the td.

2) 46 yd run by backup RB up the middle. They left our DT unblocked who missed the rb in the hole. No idea what Sanchez was doing on this play as he has his back turned to the inside run watching for a wr screen. By the time he turns around the RB is 10 yards past him. Bad tackling by the rest of the team. Nichols chases down play to save td.

3) Designed QB keeper, looked like power sweep, around the right side for 44 yds down the sideline. Haven't had a chance to rewatch this one yet, but seemed like our lbs just got outrun to the edge. Nichols chases down play to save td again I think.

4) 4th and 24....enough said.

5) 20 yd td run by QB. Looks like it was meant to be a sprint left quick pass but our DE blows up the RB and we cover the pass options to the left. Nico overpursues and leaves the cutback wide open and then doesn't have the speed to recover. Otherwise its a different story with the QB getting tackled on a stupid decision to run and we mostly likely win as Houston can't run the fg team on in time on 4th down. 

1st half: 8 drives. One Fumble, one 4th down stop. Six punts (4 of which were 3 and outs).

2nd half: 7 drives. 4 drives on big plays detailed above, plus 2 punts and another 4th down stop. 

If Wilkins manages to snag that early pick 6 then I think we win this one easily. As it is we still should have won despite any complaints about offense and clock management, etc. 

Senat, Reaves, and Love all played great on the line. No major complaints by secondary except for Hoggins. Our LBs really got exposed as not athletic enough. Really wish we had someone we could trust more than Sawtelle.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I don't care if we rushed 3 or 8, at the end of the play there were multiple players in position to end the game and they did not. All  a coach can do is give the players a chance, and they failed that play, end of story. whether or not we trusted our DL to get the sack or our secondary to get a  PBU, makes no difference. Players gotta make plays. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Seriously, just knock the ball down.

It really is as simple as this.  I mean ... /thread.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, BucsandBulls said:

Yes I am sure he said "Guys, Don't worry about the win Go try to get the stats". Players were in the right position and didn't make the play to knock it down. The hate on the coaching staff is ridiculous.

If you take 99% of JTrue's posts seriously, that's YOUR first mistake.  If he's making a serious post, he'll usually ramble on and on, and we'll stop reading halfway through.  

• Upvote 1