• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

38K would have filled 95% of the proposed OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, TallyBull said:

I agree. Not a fan of the present $200m proposal, which we all know will never get built because it's too expensive. Unless we magically get into a "Power" conference that particular proposal will NEVER happen.

Every time I criticize the current proposal the only response I get is "we have to wait to do right" or "we can't go cheap like C." But I'm not convinced we need or can justify a $200m OCS.

Suggests to me that the current "proposal" is really just intended to get everyone off of USF's back because they don't intend to do anything, at least not within the next 10 years. But at least they can point to their "proposal" and say "they're looking into it."

Good point. It also could be a test to see if there are any whales out there who could be interested. They may not currently have any association with the university.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I agree. Not a fan of the present $200m proposal, which we all know will never get built because it's too expensive. Unless we magically get into a "Power" conference that particular proposal will NEVER happen.

Every time I criticize the current proposal the only response I get is "we have to wait to do right" or "we can't go cheap like C." But I'm not convinced we need or can justify a $200m OCS.

Suggests to me that the current "proposal" is really just intended to get everyone off of USF's back because they don't intend to do anything, at least not within the next 10 years. But at least they can point to their "proposal" and say "they're looking into it."

There probably is a middle ground, but look what going cheap has gotten for UCF.  If we can manage a $200 mil OCS, then go for it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good point. It also could be a test to see if there are any whales out there who could be interested. They may not currently have any association with the university.

There are only a couple. One of them just committed to a $200m medical school in Pinellas County. Personally not a fan of "waiting until a Bullspenner wins the lottery" approach. 😁

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

5 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

There probably is a middle ground, but look what going cheap has gotten for UCF.  If we can manage a $200 mil OCS, then go for it.

Sure. To clarify, I don't oppose a $200m OCS per se - but I do oppose a $200m OCS that won't happen until my grandkids are at USF... if ever.

EDIT: I suspect the program would have long since folded by then anyways, without an OCS. But that's just me.

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We will never build a smaller stadium than UCF, our minimum will be 49K. Book it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_Stadium

Capacity 45,323 (2007–2014)[3]
44,206 (2015–present)[4]
Record attendance 48,453 (2009)[5]

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am very skeptical about USF building something similar to the proposed stadium.

Having said that, I have been told by someone in the know that USF athletics "expects" a particular someone to kick off the funding campaign with a $30 million donation.

I don't know whether that supposed, initial, large donation is etched in stone.

I'll believe it when it happens.

2 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

I am very skeptical about USF building something similar to the proposed stadium.

Having said that, I have been told by someone in the know that USF athletics "expects" a particular someone to kick off the funding campaign with a $30 million donation.

I don't know whether that supposed, initial, large donation is etched in stone.

I'll believe it when it happens.

That would be quite the, "kick-off"  I wonder how much in financing USF is willing to go.  I'm sure they would like to raise all of it, but is there a minimum amount raised to make them go forward?

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

3 hours ago, TallyBull said:

There are only a couple. One of them just committed to a $200m medical school in Pinellas County. Personally not a fan of "waiting until a Bullspenner wins the lottery" approach. 😁

He has also given a lot of  money to USF in the past.

If there is a fund raising campaign for an OCS, I think he would make some kind of a donation, but I have no idea how much.

3 hours ago, TallyBull said:

4 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

He has also given a lot of  money to USF in the past.

If there is a fund raising campaign for an OCS, I think he would make some kind of a donation, but I have no idea how much.

I imagine he would.  However, an OCS doesn't benefit him like having a med school near his entertainment district does.

1 minute ago, CostSegAdvisor said:

I dont know.  

UCF spent $50m and even with Maintenance being $14m (10 years later) and TVM its still not a bad spend.  Benefits is  10 years of creating a GAME DAY on campus experience.  Ten years of graduates ONLY knowing on campus football......    

So USF pays $70m, get a great stadium and make upgrades as you learn your revenue and STH needs/desires.    It gets football, Alumni and Bandwagon fans -- ON CAMPUS!

While this is true, the tangible benefits just aren't there.  They're having attendance issues too.