• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Punt block problems

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,805
  • Days Won:  0

I have watched both punt blocks and the weak link is Elkanah Dillon and not the scheme.  San JOse Punt Block he got juked and fell down.   On Stony Punt block He double teamed when he should have blocked the other guy coming. Even though there was a later defender coming had Elkanah blocked his man Hernandez still could have gotten the punt off

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need to fix special teams play right now. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Can't afford to spot the opponent 7 points.   2 times in as many games.  This needs to be fixed.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

16 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I have watched both punt blocks and the weak link is Elkanah Dillon and not the scheme.  San JOse Punt Block he got juked and fell down.   On Stony Punt block He double teamed when he should have blocked the other guy coming. Even though there was a later defender coming had Elkanah blocked his man Hernandez still could have gotten the punt off

Forget all the hand wringing about the play calling, the biggest drop off to me, from last year, as been the overall blocking in pretty much all phases of the game. Lots of yards left on the field Saturday night because of a missed, or ineffective, blocks. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

35 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Can't afford to spot the opponent 7 points.   2 times in as many games.  This needs to be fixed.

Add the 18 yard punt against San Jose St

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Major area of concern & need of improvement!  Every team that plays us will watch tape & they will jump all over our weakness in this area. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,495

Didn't we have 3 guys back in punt protection last year?  I'll have to re-watch some older games.  The formation just looks odd to me, maybe I'm crazy.

Just re-watched temple game from last year.  Yes, we had 3 back in protection.  Not sure why they removed one this year.   Definitely not working.  They need to go back to the old scheme.

Edited by bullstampede9922

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This and Oline blocking is my major concern from the 1st two games.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Didn't we have 3 guys back in punt protection last year?  I'll have to re-watch some older games.  The formation just looks odd to me, maybe I'm crazy.

I think most teams usually have 3. not sure. last week we had 2 back to block 3 that broke through. 2 of their guys could have blocked it.even if the guy rushing from the right was picked up the guy on the left would have blocked it. they almost collided untouched at the punter

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,495

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

I think most teams usually have 3. not sure. last week we had 2 back to block 3 that broke through. 2 of their guys could have blocked it.even if the guy rushing from the right was picked up the guy on the left would have blocked it. they almost collided untouched at the punter

I'm just saying they took a scheme they were used to from last year and changed it.  I would assume 3 is better than 2 back there.  But yeah, guys need to make their blocks.