• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/jones-charlie-strong-football-program-need-a-cash-commitment-from-usf/2335074

I was super hyped about tomorrow...until reading this....Feel like the facilities issues has been coming up a lot more recently. Besides the obvious (OCS and IPF) are our facilities really that behind? I remember recent upgrades to basketball, soccer, and baseball/softball not too long ago. Football looks like it could use a slight overhaul but nothing agregious. I agree that we should be competitive with facilities, but the frenzy around athletic facility attractions (lazy river??) seems a bit overblown. We already take a significant amount from students to fund this stuff. Is running a deeper deficit worth keeping up with the Joneses? (No pun intended) Thoughts anyone?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

You shouldn't get too upset about anything that guy writes.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Author provides no evidence that facilitates are sub-par. He just says USF needs to provide or do more upkeep. But he provides no evidence of that need. 

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

He's a hedger...don't mean to rain on anyone's parade...common. Reality is that a few extra "bells & whistles" are not going to keep CCS from eventually leaving. A chance for a national championship & 💸  Will eventually persuade him to leave.  We need a P5 conference, then the money & real chance on a yearly basis to compete for a national championship will arise.  Everything else then falls into place (money for "bells & whistles"). 

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

I actually think this article is a set piece for the future. The way I read it was that Tom Jones is trying to get people on the USF bandwagon in terms of money. Not sure it will work but I bet this is going to become a more common theme as USF stays successful, kind of like the Rays needing a new stadium. Something these guys can write about. I'm not disappointed with the article but I do think it is sad that a community like Tampa doesn't get behind its college athletic programs. I think that was Jones point and, in his own topsy turvy way,  was making an appeal to the community to support USF. However, he couldn't resist the dig at the school: "Perhaps USF will be content with being just like Arkansas State and Boise State."

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I wonder if Tom Jones has even visited the Athletics Building?  Its about 10 yrs old now, but still pretty sweet.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,448
  • Days Won:  43

Tom Jones is a village idiot. He is a shock writing hack that is looking for more attention. As soon as I notice it was an article from him, I didn't waste time reading. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

Wish the tone was better, but as much as I hate to say it - he has a point.  Most specifically for football. College football is an arms race that we and the rest of the G5 are behind.  However, our football facilities are a bit behind the top G5 as well.  

What he should have done is made the article a call to action that the USF Community could rally around.  Something about coming off its best season and on the brink of what could be a historic one, USF needs the support of the Bay Area. 

I think we would have all been behind the message, even if the die-hards on TBP wouldn't be the primary audience. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It's tough love but his message is true (and don't like the timing of the article as we start what perhaps is our greatest season ever). More donors are needed as well as corporate support and alumni involvement. I wonder if the administration has a plan in place? If so, I suspect the focus is on the OCS...but I do hope a plan is at least in place. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it. My understanding is the the training facilities are comparable to P5. Not the best, but not that off from top programs.

http://www.placead.tampabay.com/sports/college/jones-charlie-strong-football-program-need-a-cash-commitment-from-usf/2335074