• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our running game: what are we going to see?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

D.J. is more of a power back. So, is he going to get the rock most of the time? Do we have an O-line for his style?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

D.J. is more of a power back. So, is he going to get the rock most of the time? Do we have an O-line for his style?

DJ and Tice are downhill runners so we will see a lot of running between the tackles. Our line is beefy enough for this and we had success the last few years with Tice, DJ and Mack running between the tackles. There will be some sweeps and outside running as well, but most of the East/West stuff will be utilized in the passing game. Plus, Q is gonna do Q things so that will naturally have opposing defenses on their heels. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I think DJ will run a bit like Mack, and TIce will be a hammer.  I'd like to see some 2 back sets, but I suspect we'll see a lot of 1 back, 2 TE sets (or all WRs).

It'll be interesting to see who else emerges.

Hope they don't stray too much from last year, as they killed teams.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Any expectation of seeing Mack or Bell doing some things?  We were hearing a lot of good things about Bell before he was dinged up. 

7 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Any expectation of seeing Mack or Bell doing some things?  We were hearing a lot of good things about Bell before he was dinged up. 

Mack and Sands will get their carries. I'll be extremely surprised if Bell plays on the offense with no injuries; however I bet we see him on special teams. Of course that could mean Bell forced his way onto the field with great practices.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

My view is, unless a player can make a big impact, redshirt:  hit the gym, learn the system, and get the grades.

But if he can make an impact, play them.  One of the cool Tweets I saw (from Culpepper maybe) said something like "Looking forward to spending the next 3-4 years at USF.  Translation:  If all goes well, I play year 1, and go pro early.  I can live with players like that!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I think Sands was hurt...is he still available? 

Naytron Culpepper is a guy who will play his was on as a True Freshman if the practice reports are true.

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

Mr. Johnson will tell the opposing team that he shall go up the middle and not be touch and make the touchdown and after so he shall hand Mr. Flowers the Heisman. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Tice is more of a bruiser run you over type back, was used often on the goal line plays when healthy (maybe he picked up some more open space running ability in his time off). 

DJ is more versatile overall but doesn't have the turbo speed or agility of Mack, though still great. 

Dj and Tice are both among the best backs USF has ever had in my opinion, sure a slight drop off from Mack, but with Tice and DJ  we are solid at the RB position, more than we usually are or were prior to 2016.

Edited by Gismo