• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gigi Fernandez Resigns

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,518
  • Days Won:  10

She really raised the women's program and, hopefully, we'll get a great coach to carry on what she started.

Gigi Fernandez Resigns Head Coaching Position at USF

(June 9, 2005) Gigi Fernandez will resign her position as the head coach of the USF women’s tennis team, but she will remain on as a volunteer assistant coach for the program, the school announced today.

Fernandez, an ultra-successful player on the professional circuit, was named head coach at USF July 10, 2002 while she was completing work on her college degree. She would go on to earn her Bachelor of Arts in psychology from USF.

“The decision to resign my position as head coach of the women’s tennis program at USF was a difficult one,†says Fernandez. “The three years that I spent at this University coaching the ladies on the team have been some of the most rewarding years of my life. This decision was based on personal choices. I look forward to helping my successor continue the successful path that I initiated, and I will remain committed, in my new role as a voluntary assistant, to the growth of the tennis program and my alma mater.â€Â

In her three seasons, Fernandez steadily rebuilt the USF program to the point of seeing two of her players reach NCAA Championship appearances in 2005. Neyssa Etienne earned a berth in the NCAA singles and also partnered with fellow sophomore Gabriela Duch in the NCAA doubles.

Fernandez coached the Bulls to a 10-8 finish in 2005 and a third place in the Conference USA Championships, the team’s best league finish since the 2000 season. Etienne, Duch, Courtney Vernon and Liz Cruz each earned recognition on the 2005 all-Conference USA team. Duch also earned recognition on the all-C-USA team in her 2004 freshman season, giving Fernandez’ players five all-conference honors in her three years.

“We’re very appreciative of the job Gigi Fernandez has done and we look forward to her continued support of our program as a volunteer assistant,†says USF associate director of athletics Barry Clements, who administers the USF tennis programs. “We’re very pleased with the direction Gigi has our program headed in and we are intent on seeing that continue.â€Â

“In talking with our director of athletics Doug Woolard, we will conduct a national search for a new coach with a commitment to finding the very best candidate in the nation for our women’s tennis players.â€Â

http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/News.asp?i=1655&s=Tennis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's too bad.  Good luck, Gigi and thank you for all you've done.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

I think I'll lose alot of sleep over his HUGE loss......USF is in big trouble now I cant believe we lost our womens tennis coach.....The sky is falling

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

I think I'll lose alot of sleep over his HUGE loss......USF is in big trouble now I cant believe we lost our womens tennis coach.....The sky is falling

smazza..... is that you?

GOD NO

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

For a supposed "sports fan" you sure have a strange way of expressing yourself. Gigi is a world renowned star who brought recognition to USF and her loss is significant. I thank her for all she has done and wish her well  

You got that right, Howie.  We were able to recruit excellent players because of her.  These players want to learn from the best and she may have been the best women's doubles player EVER.

How many ppl on this board  have been to a women's tennis match? Or can name 2 Tennis players?

How many ppl on this board  have been to a women's tennis match? Or can name 2 Tennis players?

Does that really matter?  The point is that she elevated our women's tennis program should be a point of pride for those who support the overall USF athletic program.

Because you only care for selective sports does not mean you have to denegrate those for which you don't.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433

I have!

Gabriela Duch, Liz Cruz, Neyssa Etienne, Luisa Obando, Fabiana Taverna