• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No. 23 Bulls Battle No. 5 Gators Tuesday in Gainesville

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

As a lightly regarded conference, I think we need the trifecta of regular season champs, conference tourney champs, and an RPI in the top 20 to have a chance at hosting. 

We are a top 5 conference and we just beat the #1 team in the #1 RPI conference. They probably won't lose much, but we'll gain a lot. 

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Great Win.  Best hitting night all season

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

We are a top 5 conference and we just beat the #1 team in the #1 RPI conference. They probably won't lose much, but we'll gain a lot. 

As someone who keeps a pretty tight eye on college baseball, I'm just giving my opinion. This is a great win, but if we don't win the conference, we're not hosting. Also, the SEC is the #2 conference.

If we don't win the AAC, our RPI isn't going to be in the top 20. There is zero chance an "at-large" team from the #5 conference with an RPI outside the top 20 gets to host one of the sixteen regionals.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We actually moved all the way to #19 RPI, because WVU lost tonight!

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/rpi-live

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

Need to enjoy this one tonight, but quickly switch focus on winning this weekend.  If we lose more than one, then this win was meaningless. I love beating the gators, but most will view it similar to their other in-state weekday losses ... with a grain of salt and make excuse that their top 3 pitchers weren't going.  Beat UCONN, Oviedo University, win the conference tourney and lets make some noise. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, thatBULL said:

Need to enjoy this one tonight, but quickly switch focus on winning this weekend.  If we lose more than one, then this win was meaningless. I love beating the gators, but most will view it similar to their other in-state weekday losses ... with a grain of salt and make excuse that their top 3 pitchers weren't going.  Beat UCONN, Oviedo University, win the conference tourney and lets make some noise. 

While it is an excuse, it has some merit. Once you get into tournament play, you're not facing the pitchers we saw tonight. If we end up in the Gainesville regional and get UF again, we will see none of the guys who threw tonight. 

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Great win by the guys.  Watched on the SEC networks and we looked good.  Pitching was shaky to end the game but this looks like a team that can do some damage.  Never know what their ceiling is if they're starting to put it together.  It seems like they play best in the biggest games. 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Days Won:  1

When was the last time we beat fsu and if in the same season both on the road and both were top 5 teams? Have we ever done that

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

While it is an excuse, it has some merit. Once you get into tournament play, you're not facing the pitchers we saw tonight. If we end up in the Gainesville regional and get UF again, we will see none of the guys who threw tonight. 

I agree completely.  Gators do that often for weekday games and save their top 3 arms for the weekend (arguably the best top 3 in the country).  The are very willing to sacrifice Tuesday.

I do like that our guys did what they should be doing to a 4/5 starter ... score.  I also think we left a few out there. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

2 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Great win by the guys.  Watched on the SEC networks and we looked good.  Pitching was shaky to end the game but this looks like a team that can do some damage.  Never know what their ceiling is if they're starting to put it together.  It seems like they play best in the biggest games. 

True. USF is 7-1 against top 50 teams. UCONN and UCF are both top 50 teams. So, we can still add some wins to that figure.