• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Match-up: Bulls Face Mizzou

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Sure, but good defensive strategy (via adaptive coaching) took away our ability to score. Last night Mizzou took away our ability to score by giving us only low percentage shots in the 3rd quarter...thus we only scored 8 points.

Then you'd have to consider him pretty stupid to go to a defense that allowed us to score 18 points in the 4th quarter ...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I saw a couple of problems that led to the loss. Clearly fatigue was  a big problem. I commented during the game that we were losing every hustle play. Loose balls, not being able to get to their spots on defense, etc. they were completely gassed in the 2nd half. 

We can blame the low percentage shooting in the 2nd half, but that was their game this year. Laksa, for the most part is a sharpshooter.  Pujol was on fire in the first half. She completely disappered in the 2nd half. Most of her shots were outside. It was discussed several times this year that we lacked physicality. If we had a little more of an inside presence the scoring percentage goes up and we win going away. 

We also don't have anyone that can penetrate and make their own shots.

These were the same issues that hurt us in our losses all year (excluding UCONN).

I see this past year as more of a transition year than rebuilding year  There was more of a team game rather than tge Courtney Williams show of the last few years. 

Next year there is a good mix of experienced a young players coming back.  Ferreira hopefully returns healthy.  We have the last 2 conference Freshman of the year. I like Flores at point. Laksa still has 2 years to go. We have a 5 star recruit that got some game experience under her belt and if I recall a couple of highly thought of transfers coming eligible.  

Future looks bright for this team.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need a backup point and a backup 2/3 position.  4 of our ladies played 40 minutes I believe.  Not going to win many games like that. Depth killed us that game. And the putrid 3rd quarter. 

41 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Did you even watch the game?  Mizzous head coach is not a "him".

Your non addressing of my point is duly noted ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Did you even watch the game?  Mizzous head coach is not a "him".

So, are you sawing that halftime rest didn't help them.  

I was at the game, and they didn't look gassed to me.   

That said, having no bench is a big problem, but some of that is on the shoulders of  CJF and his staff.  Would you say that is the reason we were behind 9-0 from the gitgo?

Not Jose's fault that Ferreira and Pehadzic missed basically the entire year.  Jazz Bond never fully recovered from the back spasms.  Next year could be a fun year if those 3 are healthy and Rader plays like I think she will.  

I was at the game as well and they looked gassed to me at times at the end of each half in particular.  This is a cumulative thing over the course of all the games they've played short handed.  I don't agree with Jose's use of timeouts but he's explained his thinking to me. Just a difference in philosophy.

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

There were 4 Seniors on the team, how many actually got to play a meaningful amount of time during the season?  Why weren't they used to cut down on the season long cumulative gassing of the starters?   Who recruited them, was responsible for their development, and their physical development?  This wasn't the first time our team has had virtually no bench.

IMO, Laura's situation was worsened by poor oversight on the part of the staff.  

Probably best that they lost a sqeeker to Mizzou, because Sunday would more likely than not have led to a painful scalping by the Noles.

Sounds like you're just reinforcing the truth that the hc is ultimately responsible for the outcome of games to explain your nebulous "out coach" cliche .... which means that CJF out coached his opponent 24 times this year. Hopefully next year he'll be able to make more timely usage of his out coaching opportunities.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

@BBB no one knows as much about basketball as Ned does. 

4 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

There were 4 Seniors on the team, how many actually got to play a meaningful amount of time during the season?  Why weren't they used to cut down on the season long cumulative gassing of the starters?   Who recruited them, was responsible for their development, and their physical development?  This wasn't the first time our team has had virtually no bench.

IMO, Laura's situation was worsened by poor oversight on the part of the staff.  

Probably best that they lost a sqeeker to Mizzou, because Sunday would more likely than not have led to a painful scalping by the Noles.

So one bad recruiting year 4 years ago and he sucks as a coach.  Got it.  You make me feel better about myself. Long thought I was really negative/pessimistic but, maybe, not so much as I thought.

3 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Where did I say "he sucks as a coach"?  If he did, I would not have been going to games for the past 17 years.

Not all the Seniors were recruited the same year.

I guess most here feel we should pat a coach on the back for wins, but not say anything about their shortcomings.  Why are the wins the Coaches , but the losses are the Players.

Your words:  There were 4 Seniors on the team, how many actually got to play a meaningful amount of time during the season?  Why weren't they used to cut down on the season long cumulative gassing of the starters?   Who recruited them, was responsible for their development, and their physical development?  This wasn't the first time our team has had virtually no bench.

Sounds like you are bashing the coach to me.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

If questioning a coaches management of the team is bashing, then I guess I'm guilty.

Maybe your intent is to question - I question his use of timeouts - but you come off as bashing.  Maybe you just can't read inflection or tone of voice in posts.  In conversations with him he likes the players to figure things out on the court as opposed to calling timeouts.  Sounds like the Geno school of thinking when it comes to that.