• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our NEW Basketball HC is....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

1 hour ago, BullFan98 said:

but I think our expectations need to be dialed down a bit based on our current state of affairs.

Expectations from some on this message board are likely unrealistically high for USF MBB. I'd say those of us that are left attending the games, it's the opposite. Although our facilities are nice, fan support is minimal. 

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I've haven't run into a USF basketball fan in years that has ANY expectations anymore.

I'm actually a season ticket holder, and I have no expectations whatsoever. I'd love to simply have a full squad, for once. If we could be get to a point where we win half of our conference games, that'd be progress to me. It's such a dumpster fire that I'm not expecting post season play for a while. 

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, UofMemphis said:

going from 21-15 (8-10) to 17-15 (8-10) is a step forward?

They exceeded expectations, I've already covered this.  Maybe it would be better if you read more of the thread before commenting.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Yeah, 3 top 25 wins with a new coach, including a top 10 over FSU and a top 5 over UNC, and making the NIT is a step back.  

Dammit, I hope USF with Gregory can backpedal towards that outcome.  

it's just like Memphis...sure, he can beat a ranked UNC and ranked FSU...but he also lost to Ohio (not Ohio State), Penn State, TN by 23, Duke by over 50, and even NC State.

just like at Memphis he could beat a ranked OSU and Louisville before losing to Tulane, ECU, and South Florida.

the bad Ls cancel out the good Ws.

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

They exceeded expectations, I've already covered this.  Maybe it would be better if you read more of the thread before commenting.

Pastner found what he always needed.....low expectations.

Congrats, Josh!

1 minute ago, UofMemphis said:

Pastner found what he always needed.....low expectations.

Congrats, Josh!

It sucks seeing a guy win COY a year after leaving your team in the lurch, doesn't it?  In the toughest basketball conference in America, no less.

Edited by GaUSFBull
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

It sucks seeing a guy win COY a year after leaving your team in the lurch, doesn't it?

nope (I thank GTech for taking him off our hands)...we would not be pleased with 17-15...hell, our fans grumble about 19-13 with attendance over 9,500.

Edited by UofMemphis
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Gents, how about thoughts about our new hire, Brian Gregory? I don't care about people coaching other schools. 

1 minute ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Gents, how about thoughts about our new hire, Brian Gregory? I don't care about people coaching other schools. 

You can find my initial reaction on page 1.  I have since followed the evolution, or devolution if you'd rather, of the thread.  

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

What's Doug doing these days? Harlan is just clueless when it comes to basketball hiring imo. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Gregory is half the coach Heath was. I'm gonna wait and see what his assistants look like but Bartow would have been a better hire since Gregory is the best a sorry AD like Harlan can do. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, macphisto said:

He got ACC coach of the year because of a few flashy wins and because they pretty much automatically disqualify Coach K and Roy Williams from consideration.

He has the worst record for a Coach of the Year winner in about a decade.  Coach K and Roy Williams deserved it a lot more than he did, but they aren't even considered.  That last ACC Coach of the Year to win with such a bad record?  Seth Greenberg.  He won it twice for going 9-7 and 8-8 in conference. 

^ This.

Brian Gregory took an 11 win team to 21 wins and an NIT...he also set up his successor for ACC COY.

it's not a terrible hire...he's better than Antigua or Bartow.