• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Needs To Buy-Out Stony Brook Game

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

52 minutes ago, Bulls Are We said:

Heard an interesting idea the other day.  Play these FCS games in the spring in lieu of a Green/Gold game.  After all, they are merely a glorified scrimmage in the fall.  Have it at Ray Jay and sell tickets. Schools could still make the money this way and it would free up a spot in the fall for the FBS schools to schedule a meaningful game.  Bama had 76K at their spring game.

43 minutes ago, Polkcountybull said:

Yeah, I love the idea of the FCS Spring Game. I've been discussing that ever since the FHSAA started allowing Spring Classics.  It seems like it would be a WIN-WIN scenario.

This is in line with the whole concept of this thread, good but far fetched ideas with pretty much zero chance of happening .... although the buy out is the one with the better chance. Unless the NCAA funded these Spring games, there's no way they'd make sense, financially, for us ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This is in line with the whole concept of this thread, good but far fetched ideas with pretty much zero chance of happening .... although the buy out is the one with the better chance. Unless the NCAA funded these Spring games, there's no way they'd make sense, financially, for us ...

Speaking of that...what is the buyout for the Stony Brook game?  

How do you figure it could not make sense financially for us if this game was built into a season ticket package?  

19 minutes ago, Bulls Are We said:

Speaking of that...what is the buyout for the Stony Brook game?  

How do you figure it could not make sense financially for us if this game was built into a season ticket package?  

First problem, which season? Spring Game is in the middle of season ticket sales push. It would work for those of us who automatically buy but that's about it. You'd almost have to have it as a stand alone, especially if you're talking about it being an extra game. Those games are key revenue for the FCS teams and just a quick check showed that we paid UT-C $435,000 back in 2012. I just don't think there's any way to even come close to a game like that not being a hefty financial loss .... even if we held it at Corbett ... without some funding help for it.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

23 minutes ago, Triple B said:

First problem, which season? Spring Game is in the middle of season ticket sales push. 

Sounds like a great way to promote new season tickets.  Preview your seats for 2017.  I think most people would be jonesing for some real college football in April.

The first year is a transition year, but once the season ticket holders (new and renewals) are rolled in year two you could easily expect 20,000+ (paid) tickets for a game like this.  I suppose it is not much different than the NFL requiring season ticket holders to buy the two preseason home games every year.  

I agree we are probably on the fringe for this to make money for us, but for teams like Bama, FL, FSU, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. it would still be a huge money maker for them.  

We could always schedule a payday game in the fall to offset any losses if the end goal here is to play more P5 opponents.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Inter-collegiate Spring Game instead of intra? Cool idea. What would be the process for changing the NCAA bylaws to make this possible?

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

A weak schedule didn't hinder Western Michigan and besides we need at least one preseason game to tune up for thew season.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

9 minutes ago, mellobull said:

A weak schedule didn't hinder Western Michigan and besides we need at least one preseason game to tune up for thew season.

It did in the sense that they were undefeated and didn't sniff the CFP. I am thinking bigger than an access bowl. If we go undefeated we will get the access bowl, period. I want an outside shot at the CFP. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Huh that's the first I've heard of an inter-collegiate Spring Game and I kind of love it. I would definitely spend the money on another game ticket to watch a real game. You can never tell with a scrimmage where everything lies. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

I am for whatever removes Stony Brook.

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

It did in the sense that they were undefeated and didn't sniff the CFP. I am thinking bigger than an access bowl. If we go undefeated we will get the access bowl, period. I want an outside shot at the CFP. 

We're 2 seasons removed from the darkest period in USF football. Kudos for the thinking big but I think I'm good just settling for a conf title and a NY6 bowl.

• Upvote 2