• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

We have time to do it right this time.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Happy to hear this news...stop the bleeding. 

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

Can't believe what Calipari said.  Yeah, in 2.5 years he had sent the program into the crapper.  What are we suppose to do Calipari?

Calipari on Orlando Antigua firing. "He and I talked. I'm disappointed. What's he been there 2.5 years? That's how this is now."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Glad to see Harlan pull the plug on this mistake. Usually you will see AD's hate to admit a hiring mistake and will back "their guy" to  significant lengths in order to turn the corner.

The firing of Heath and now Antigua is a declarative statement by Harlan that he expects strong leadership AND results for the basketball program.

I think the departure of his JMM was the nail in the coffin. Losing his top player, on top of the investigation and his 2 top recruits not making it to campus, had even me thinking go ahead and put him out of his misery now ...... but I don't think MH was dumb enough to have made the decision to fire Heath. All I heard that he said coming in was "if you're going to do it, do it now."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Rizman said:

Can't believe what Calipari said.  Yeah, in 2.5 years he had sent the program into the crapper.  What are we suppose to do Calipari?

Calipari on Orlando Antigua firing. "He and I talked. I'm disappointed. What's he been there 2.5 years? That's how this is now."

Cal's just mad he's going to have to find space on his staff for Antigua and Strickland this season instead of next...Cal loves yes men who can recruit.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think the departure of his JMM was the nail in the coffin. Losing his top player, on top of the investigation and his 2 top recruits not making it to campus, had even me thinking go ahead and put him out of his misery now ...... but I don't think MH was dumb enough to have made the decision to fire Heath. All I heard that he said coming in was "if you're going to do it, do it now."

Ya. It wasn't like there was only one thing wrong or progress was being shown by Antigua. It was basically a failure on every level. Record, recruits, cheating investigation. Taggart at least showed he had talent on the field. He wasn't using the talent right but the talent had been brought in.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 hours ago, Rizman said:

Clearly he doesn't know how to groom his assistants.  I think UofMemphis may be onto something about yes men who can recruit.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

16 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Clearly he doesn't know how to groom his assistants.  I think UofMemphis may be onto something about yes men who can recruit.

Gary Parrish is a national CBS writer who started in Memphis covering Memphis basketball (Calipari teams) and he noticed all of Cal's asst coaches were nothing but 'yes men' who could recruit...he was shocked when he started covering other teams for CBS to find some coaches actually let assts do things like run practice, and even call set plays out of timeouts...Cal would have none of that...he wants recruiters only.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 minutes ago, UofMemphis said:

Gary Parrish is a national CBS writer who started in Memphis covering Memphis basketball (Calipari teams) and he noticed all of Cal's asst coaches were nothing but 'yes men' who could recruit...he was shocked when he started covering other teams for CBS to find some coaches actually let assts do things like run practice, and even call set plays out of timeouts...Cal would have none of that...he wants recruiters only.

None of that surprises me one bit.  Seems like a bit of a control freak.

I remember sitting behind him and heckling him when he coached you guys back in the early 2000's, when I was a student. I finally got him to turn around and give me a dirty look.  Good times.

• Upvote 2