• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

The question is will Strong more stubborn than Willie was?  Will he see what is working and the talent we have on offense and run with it?  I would assume he would have the if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality, but who knows.  It's like a used car, you get it checked by a mechanic and he says the engine is mint, but it needs a new transmission.  Do you tell him to replace the engine along with the transmission?  I'm sure our AD will figure this all out in the interview process.

it's his mind set that is the problem. he can say he will be more wide open but in the end his conservative nature will take over. similar to woodie on defense. we were bad because he was so conservative. rarely called blitzes. rarely played press coverage. if we were a grind it out offense that played field position it would be fine but we are not built that way.

14 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Strong is a proven winner at some places.  I think Texas is a challenge that even the great Mack Brown struggled with. 

the great mack brown won a national championship there he coached for 16 seasons and had 1 losing season. he had only 2 losing seasons in conference.

charlie strong had 3 losing seasons in 3 years

he lost to kansas in his 3rd year. a team that hadn't won a conference game in like 3 years.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,520
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

the great mack brown won a national championship there he coached for 16 seasons and had 1 losing season. he had only 2 losing seasons in conference.

charlie strong had 3 losing seasons in 3 years

he lost to kansas in his 3rd year. a team that hadn't won a conference game in like 3 years.

16 years and only 1 championship? I think Texas was and is an overated program. UF has three championships within that timeframe and Charlie Strong was part of it! Hell, if it wasn't for Vince Young's miraculous play they would of have 0 championships in 16 years. Get over it. Strong, gutted the team and rebuilt it and not a new coach gets to enjoy the benefits. Why one bad coaching job ruins all of his other accomplishments, multi conference championships, National championship and BCS bowl winner as a head coach. It baffles me how this man is such a "bad" coach?

• Haha 1

Just now, Gatorbull325 said:

16 years and only 1 championship? I think Texas was and is an overated program. UF has three championships within that timeframe and Charlie Strong was part of it! Hell, if it wasn't for Vince Young's miraculous play they would of have 0 championships in 16 years. Get over it. Strong, gutted the team and rebuilt it and not a new coach gets to enjoy the benefits. Why one bad coaching job ruins all of his other accomplishments, multi conference championships, National championship and BCS bowl winner as a head coach. It baffles me how this man is such a "bad" coach?

didn't say he was a bad coach.

if we were looking at him for DC I would be happy.

nothing impressive at all as far as head coach

something tells me urban meyer had a lot to do with UF winning those NCs. seems to be doing just fine at OSU without strong.

1 championship in 16 years is certainly better than 3 losing seasons in 3 years at a school that has their own ESPN channel

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Scott is on my shortlist of candidates i really like for the job.I like Strong but I too have some concerns about him but he's the only retread i would be ok with.  I still feel this job really is better suited for an up and comer who is trying to make their name as a head coach than somebody who has something to fall back on.  My short list in no order is

Jeff Scott

Lincoln Riley

Jeremy Pruitt

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Scott is on my shortlist of candidates i really like for the job.I like Strong but I too have some concerns about him but he's the only retread i would be ok with.  I still feel this job really is better suited for an up and comer who is trying to make their name as a head coach than somebody who has something to fall back on.  My short list in no order is

Jeff Scott

Lincoln Riley

Jeremy Pruitt

exactly how I feel

I would accept Strong but wouldn't be thrilled.

I want a young offensive minded guy who wants to prove himself. we need that type of energy to sell recruits.

we are not UF or Texas where the programs recruit themselves.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

exactly how I feel

I want a young offensive minded guy who wants to prove himself. we need that type of energy to sell recruits.

It's not just that but due to budget concerns there's still a ton of extra work that falls on our HC's and due to the limited assistant pool it can be hard to put together a quality staff top to bottom.  That means it becomes harder to delegate as much and more is on your plate than there is at a P5 program.  HC's have to get their hands a lot more dirty than at USF than places like Texas or Louisville.  I feel like young guys are more willing to take on that extra work than a coach that's on the way back down and used to having better assistants and more support staff to take care of the extra work load.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

5 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

It's not just that but due to budget concerns there's still a ton of extra work that falls on our HC's and due to the limited assistant pool it can be hard to put together a quality staff top to bottom.  That means it becomes harder to delegate as much and more is on your plate than there is at a P5 program.  HC's have to get their hands a lot more dirty than at USF than places like Texas or Louisville.  I feel like young guys are more willing to take on that extra work than a coach that's on the way back down and used to having better assistants and more support staff to take care of the extra work load.  

good points

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

19 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

exactly how I feel

Bull94 on page 1:  Strong is a recipe for disaster 

Bull94 on page 2:  I would accept Strong

Bull94 on page 3?....I love Strong...?

Just now, NCBull said:

Bull94 on page 1:  Strong is a recipe for disaster 

Bull94 on page 2:  I would accept Strong

Bull94 on page 3?....I love Strong...?

not sure where you are going with this?

i don't think he would even be close to a good hire. think doing a 180 in philosophies for a guy that will be expensive and a nightmare to get rid of if he bombs wouldn't be prudent.

now if we hired him (something i have no control over) then i would accept him as our coach and i would give him every benefit of the doubt.

I would even admit I was wrong if he proved me so unlike most of the Taggart detractors on here