• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Inexcusably Poor Coaching from Willie Taggart!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

24 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Yeah two 1,000 yard rushers and going from 2 wins to 10 wins, and a top 10 offense and going from averaging less than 20 points per game to over 40 points a game is just the athletes.

lol

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

7 hours ago, USF_Grouper said:

We played UCF - of course we won. We are by far the more talented and superior team. I think we should all be concerned about the mental lapses all over the field. Giving up an on-side kick if not for the recoverer having stepped out of bounds after already seeing that play is simply inexcusable.

49 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I'm gonna take the rep hit and agree with all you're saying.

Taggart's teams win by being better athletes. With the exception of the Navy game I haven't seen him out coach or his team of coaches out game plan any opponent. Onside kicks are almost a gimme against his team. His recruiting skills are allowing him to skimp on coaching and game planning. You don't get to the next level that way. Discipline is better that it was but there are still egregious lapses happening too frequently.

So every kick off we receive, we should put our hands team out there .... you know, just in case. The depths that some will go to ....

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

24 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So every kick off we receive, we should put our hands team out there .... you know, just in case. The depths that some will go to ....

When teams are able to run the "trick" on-side it isn't their hands team out there either. They just recognize your front group is living a glitch too early. It happens - you adjust to it and run drills. Beating a dead horse here but the concern is it happened twice.

• Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, USF_Grouper said:

When teams are able to run the "trick" on-side it isn't their hands team out there either. They just recognize your front group is living a glitch too early. It happens - you adjust to it and run drills. Beating a dead horse here but the concern is it happened twice.

They recognized that the only way they were going to have a chance to win that game was with gimmicks. Should we maybe have been better prepared for it .... possibly. Was it worthy of an entire thread of its own in the middle of the game, with a melodramatic title? ..... No, IMO. Picking nits, as someone earlier opined, fits perfectly.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

They recognized that the only way they were going to have a chance to win that game was with gimmicks. Should we maybe have been better prepared for it .... possibly. Was it worthy of an entire thread of its own in the middle of the game, with a melodramatic title? ..... No, IMO. Picking nits, as someone earlier opined, fits perfectly.

Not sure I follow - what do you mean by "in the middle of the game"? It isn't like the coaching staff are on here monitoring discussions or something. Was an interesting topic that occurred at that moment. You think we should just wait till after the game for all discussion?

• Downvote 8

10 hours ago, USF_Grouper said:

You think we should just wait till after the game for all discussion?

Absolutely not .... that's why there are Game threads. You do know we have those, right ... plus Chat? If that supposed "inexcusaby poor coaching" call from CWT had caused us to actually lose the game, a post game discussion on it specifically would have made a lot of sense .... again, that's just my opinion. You are more than entitled to start any thread you want to, whenever you want to, and I am just as entitled to comment on that decision in this wacky world of message boards.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

10-2.Coaching must be just awful.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

I wouldn't say they were using gimmicks. This coach is known for being unconventional with some play calls. Going for 2 point conversions, onside kick, some "trick" plays... Oregon did a lot of this stuff when he was the OC there. It's just his style. You can call it a gimmick, but up tempo offense was also a gimmick according to some. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gismo said:

I wouldn't say they were using gimmicks. This coach is known for being unconventional with some play calls. Going for 2 point conversions, onside kick, some "trick" plays... Oregon did a lot of this stuff when he was the OC there. It's just his style. You can call it a gimmick, but up tempo offense was also a gimmick according to some. 

Obviously didn't follow UCF that closely this year but If onside kicks and wr pass plays were staples of their game, I stand corrected ..... if not, they were gimmick plays used to try and compensate for going against a vastly better team.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We had two+ holding calls and two+ false start calls this season, shall I start a thread on those?

• Upvote 3