• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Inexcusably Poor Coaching from Willie Taggart!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures, clearly.  I do think the front line should expect it, even if just a nano-second. But if you plan for the trick play all the time, you'll get gashed the other 99.9%.

I was only nervous after UCF scored so quickly.  Once we went up, 14-7, I felt we'd win (not sure by any means, but confident).

Thing is, even if you know the onside kick is coming, they still work at times with the luck of the bounce and execution ... To call what happened in regards to the onside kick on Saturday "inexcusably poor coaching" is patently absurd.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Thing is, even if you know the onside kick is coming, they still work at times with the luck of the bounce and execution ... To call what happened in regards to the onside kick on Saturday "inexcusably poor coaching" is patently absurd.

To that point, both times their kicker tried it he did it perfectly.  Got that high bounce that they are always looking for. Very impressed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

26 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

To that point, both times their kicker tried it he did it perfectly.  Got that high bounce that they are always looking for. Very impressed.

Yeah, both of those kicks were textbook. That kid did a heckuva job. 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

Obviously didn't follow UCF that closely this year but If onside kicks and wr pass plays were staples of their game, I stand corrected ..... if not, they were gimmick plays used to try and compensate for going against a vastly better team.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, clearly.  I do think the front line should expect it, even if just a nano-second. But if you plan for the trick play all the time, you'll get gashed the other 99.9%.

I was only nervous after UCF scored so quickly.  Once we went up, 14-7, I felt we'd win (not sure by any means, but confident).

49 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agreed...a little post-game hyperbole.  I'm not surprised Frost tried it, and other gadgets, as they clearly had less talent and needed guile and some breaks.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

27 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

Agreed...a little post-game hyperbole.  I'm not surprised Frost tried it, and other gadgets, as they clearly had less talent and needed guile and some breaks.

When you have less talent you have to do some extreme things.  Does anyone remember our early days?  That one Amarri Jackson game vs Louisville was all trick plays it seemed.  

47 minutes ago, JoeB said:

When you have less talent you have to do some extreme things.  Does anyone remember our early days?  That one Amarri Jackson game vs Louisville was all trick plays it seemed.  

Yup...I think he had 2 TDs & passed for 1?  It was one of first early wins.  I also remember going to the Orange Bowl the next week, and we got crushed 27-7.

I don't blame them for doing it...but we have to be ready.  On the WR pass to Smith, we actually had decent coverage.  If Nichols knew the ball was coming, he likely turns around & makes a play on the ball. 

Still, thumping UCF 48-31 makes it hard to complain.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Poor Grouper.  This thread didn't work out too well for him.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

life rarely does for unhappy people...