• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Change the AAC Championship format ?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

3 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

P5 conferences don't care what their champs are ranked, because their winners get tie ins no matter what. The AAC is in new territory in the fact that it's champion needs to have a high ranking in order to get that same tie in, not just the title. I don't know if you're being dense or what, but you have to admit that getting a team to the biggest stage HAS to be the primary goal of any commissioner, or he isn't doing his job. 

So no, it has nothing to do with my bias for USF, I sincerely think for the good of this conference it should change. Instead, casual fans will see it as a crappy MAC team is better than all the AAC teams, which we all know isn't true. 

The commissioner's primary job is to do what's best for the conference, and right now that's trying to get us to P6 level. Those in the know realize what the aac does or doesn't bring to the table in that regard. Rigging the conf championship game rather than letting the results on the field determine the participants would be seen thru by anyone with a clue and maybe even have a negative impact in the decision makers eyes...... and who gives a crap what the casual fan thinks.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Bullrush33 said:

I dont think this is too far fetched.  We are saying if you have two teams 7-1 in conference but say one is 11-1 and the other is 8-4 who do you want to represent the conference.?    The 8-4 team beat the the 11-1 team but the 8-4 team gets to go to conference game?

How about 2 teams that both finish 10-2 but Team A beats Team B. However, Team B has a large fan base and generates national interest since it's a name program so they get to go to the conference championship game? Why not? It's all opinions at that point.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Besides, it's not even that big of a change when you consider ranking is the tie breakers for 3 way ties

That big of a change?? Dude, come on, it's part of the SIXTH freaking tiebreaker ....

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, SANJAY said:

How about 2 teams that both finish 10-2 but Team A beats Team B. However, Team B has a large fan base and generates national interest since it's a name program so they get to go to the conference championship game? Why not? It's all opinions at that point.

This would be a bad time for the rule to apply then. I guess there is no perfect solution, but at the end of the day, you want the best two teams in the conference to go to the CCG. That really should be the goal when the bowl tie in is based on ranking. 

I could go for a rule that says if team A is ranked 10 or more slots higher than team B, then that could be used as a tie breaker. Otherwise, head to head shold be used. National perception USUALLY won't put any team from the same conference 10 slots or more over another unless the resume is actually THAT much better. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Am I allowed to say that this is a stupid topic? 

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

The commissioner's primary job is to do what's best for the conference, and right now that's trying to get us to P6 level. Those in the know realize what the aac does or doesn't bring to the table in that regard. Rigging the conf championship game rather than letting the results on the field determine the participants would be seen thru by anyone with a clue and maybe even have a negative impact in the decision makers eyes...... and who gives a crap what the casual fan thinks.

Yes, does anyone remember what the Big 12 did two years ago? They plugged the "one true champion" adage and then anointed TCU and Baylor as "co-champions" since they had the same conference record; even though Baylor beat TCU head-to-head but lost to WVU in Morgantown. TCU laid claim that they had a "better loss," which is outright ridiculous. Head to head needs to matter. Yes it sucks that we had to play that game in Philly and ended lost; and that could be the difference in usngoing to the game, but them's the breaks! 

Its frustrating to think because we might not have a chance in playing in the CCG that the pollsters are not ranking us, but can't overhaul the whole system. I will say it sucks that Temple hasn't had to play Houston or Navy in this round, but guess what; they have to play Houston, Navy and @ Tulsa the next two years so it's very possible the tables will turn.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

Am I allowed to say that this is a stupid topic? 

I'd be disappointed if you didn't ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

We should just have 22 conference games. Everyone plays everyone home-and-home, then it's all fair.

</sarcasm>

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, RaisingFenix said:

We should just have 22 conference games. Everyone plays everyone home-and-home, then it's all fair.

</sarcasm>

Works for me. Watching the Bulls play twice/ week is 2x better than watching them play once/ week!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

23 hours ago, charsibb said:

I think he means that the fans aren't at fault if the product is not worth buying

22 hours ago, Triple B said:

Then they're not, by definition, fans ...

Your logic doesn't hold

I don't buy tickets, and I'm a fan.