• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Remember last year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

#TightSpirals 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

At this point in the season last year (6-4 through 10 games), you're dreaming if you think half the board was saying to bench QF.

He didn't say a year ago, said "last year", which could have meant the early part of the year when he hadn't started rolling yet .... still wasn't over half the board, though.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

I still find myself trying to compare what Matt or BJ would do in this system and thinking how they would blowing the lid off.

If you're intimating that they'd be better than QF in this system, just don't see it. I just don't think either is as elusive a runner as Flowers is ..... maybe I'm wrong. Saturday night was this system run to almost perfection, utilizing all the tools .... and a major element of that is Q's running.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

If you're intimating that they'd be better than QF in this system, just don't see it. I just don't think either is as elusive a runner as Flowers is ..... maybe I'm wrong. Saturday night was this system run to almost perfection, utilizing all the tools .... and a major element of that is Q's running.

I think he's more elusive than BJ, but I think BJ would have been as good as him. Taggart embraces Flowers' running abilities. Skip wanted BJ in the pocket as a safeguard for depth reasons. I think the offense as a whole is more talented now, so less pressure would be put on BJ to go all out like he did. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

9 hours ago, Bull-Hornz said:

I still find myself trying to compare what Matt or BJ would do in this system and thinking how they would blowing the lid off.

I believe where QF keeps the edge on them, even in the same system hypothetically, is between the ears. He takes great care of the football. When we HAD to score against Memphis, a QF turnover was the last thing on my mind. I've never been equally amazed as I am confident in a USF quarterback until now. 

I was a big Grothe fan and a BJ Daniels defender/fan. I think something else that allows for the consistency of qb play is the offensive line. I used to hate how BJ had to run for his life. Quinton does extend plays, but I feel the majority of his ribs are so to play call and personal choice. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

5 hours ago, Breedwell said:

I think he's more elusive than BJ, but I think BJ would have been as good as him. Taggart embraces Flowers' running abilities. Skip wanted BJ in the pocket as a safeguard for depth reasons. I think the offense as a whole is more talented now, so less pressure would be put on BJ to go all out like he did. 

It's been said many times, BJ wanted to be a pocket QB

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

For comparison...

Grothe - best of the 3 on short/intermediate passes IMO. I think if he were our QB now, the offense would be different to an extent. Less designed QB runs (though he was great at it), more intermediate passing game, still very effective.

QF - best deep ball, running ability, football IQ

I honestly can't say that BJD is the best of the 3 at any area. He was good, but, I give the edge to Grothe/Flowers. As of now, I would say Flowers is the best we have had as a dual threat (Blackwell was a tremendous QB as well).

You can never truly compare them because Blackwell, Grothe, and Daniels had the benefit of great defenses. The game was hardly ever 100% on their shoulders. This team right now is playing Flowers vs the world football and he continues to carry the team over and over again. I can't get over how special that is. The system is perfect for him, but, to an extent, it's not so much system as his elite athleticism. I think Taggart has done a good job letting the team play to their strengths, but, when Flowers is gone, if Tags is still here, we'll see if he is actually a good offensive coach that will adjust to someone else's skill-set.

Think about the MG and BJD eras, how many games did they truly put the team on their shoulders and win? Auburn, FSU, ND were all heavily influenced by the defense. BJD beat Nevada on his own. MG owned UCF a couple of times, most notably the last one he played against them. Maybe I just don't remember. I get caught up in all of the great wins, and certain plays those guys made in the games, but, I can't remember very many games that they carried the team the way QF does every time we take the field.

• Upvote 2