• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Did anyone notice?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

After our 1st or 2nd score can't remember exactly, but our kickoff landed maybe 5yds short of the goal line and the returner whiffed on catching the ball and it sorta just rolled into the end zone and sat there.  At that point its still a live play, the ball is not dead, but the ref blew the whistle. 

Just wondering if anyone else saw that, not saying we recover it or it changes the outcome but it bothered me when I saw it, and now I wanna make sure I'm not going crazy. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I was watching with my son. I didn't see the kick, but did se the end of that. I daid the exact same thing. My son said it actually hit on the backline and rolled forward into the endzone. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,688
  • Days Won:  108

Pretty sure in college that if the ball goes into the endzone (untouched) that it is a touchback.  Only problem the came up earlier this season was when a guy fielded the kickoff in the endzone and then threw it back to the ref before taking a knee.  So if a player fields it in the endzone he needs to take a knee.  If the ball goes untouched into or through the endzone then it is a touchback.

And while we're talking about endzone rulings, in the Bucs game yesterday a DB made an interception in the endzone, danced around a bit and then stepped out of the back of the endzone.  Can't figure out why that wasn't a safety.  If someone else on here knows I'd appreciate hearing from you.  If not, I may have to look up the definition of a safety in the NFL.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Pretty sure in college that if the ball goes into the endzone (untouched) that it is a touchback.  Only problem the came up earlier this season was when a guy fielded the kickoff in the endzone and then threw it back to the ref before taking a knee.  So if a player fields it in the endzone he needs to take a knee.  If the ball goes untouched into or through the endzone then it is a touchback.

And while we're talking about endzone rulings, in the Bucs game yesterday a DB made an interception in the endzone, danced around a bit and then stepped out of the back of the endzone.  Can't figure out why that wasn't a safety.  If someone else on here knows I'd appreciate hearing from you.  If not, I may have to look up the definition of a safety in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure that if he doesn't come out of the end zone into the field of play it's still a touchback

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

ruling on the field

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, Bear said:

ruling on the field

Those happen every game.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, beefy620 said:

After our 1st or 2nd score can't remember exactly, but our kickoff landed maybe 5yds short of the goal line and the returner whiffed on catching the ball and it sorta just rolled into the end zone and sat there.  At that point its still a live play, the ball is not dead, but the ref blew the whistle. 

Just wondering if anyone else saw that, not saying we recover it or it changes the outcome but it bothered me when I saw it, and now I wanna make sure I'm not going crazy. 

If the ball touches the ground in the endzone during a kickoff, and hasn't been touched by the receiving team, the ball is dead and is ruled a touchback.

Edit: This includes bouncing or rolling into the endzone

Second Edit (The actual rule):

ARTICLE 7. a. When a free kick untouched by Team B touches the ground on or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to Team B.

Edited by Dogma

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Correct.

This was part of the rule changes (including 25-yard line) to discourage returning kickoffs in order to reduce injuries

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

Word, I actually thought the return man had touched it.  Either way doesn't matter now.  Didnt realize they had changed that rule. 

The clemson one was weird to me too, because I've seen numerous times the ref just blow the whistle after the player fields the ball in the endzone and makes no attempt to run

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

You sure that was the Bucs game?  Against the 49ers?  Only two picks in that game, both happened between the goal lines.