• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We need to bring in a Co Defensive Coordinator

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I still feel spoiled by having two lockdown corners in Trae and Jenk. Oops... revealed my age there. I am ancient.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

While you would always want a base defense, for us it's the 4-2, you have to be able to adapt to your opponent.  A 4-3 for FSU and UConn, a 46 for Navy, etc.

FSU for example, I would have ran a 4-3, moving Auggie to Sam LB and brought in Cherry for Mike .

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

While you would always want a base defense, for us it's the 4-2, you have to be able to adapt to your opponent.  A 4-3 for FSU and UConn, a 46 for Navy, etc.

FSU for example, I would have ran a 4-3, moving Auggie to Sam LB and brought in Cherry for Mike .

And that's what concerns me. We haven't really made these adjustments.  Every time our defense makes an in game adjustment, it doesn't seem to carry over to the next week. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

You absolutely do not want to run a 4-6 against navy. 1 missed assignment and then house. Nickel turnes into 4-4 with the safeties playing the alley and having no pitch or read responsibility. Works quite well, just gotta tackle. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

22 hours ago, IBulleve said:

That's fair. Lets keep in mind Towson not only had their starting QB knocked out for a week or so, but holding them 5 points below their avg against FCS teams is actually disturbing. NIU has also been playing with a back up QB. Not to mention, Cuse got shut down by Wake.  While they have a very solid defense, it brings their average way down and does not in anyway reflect how we played defensively against them. 

With that said, I feel as if Woodie is average as a DC. The loss of Tom Allen was huge, and I believe we really would've seen a dominant defense his 2nd year here. 

Towson still doesn't have the transfer from Oregon..they are a much worse offense it looked like without him.

I would have liked to have seen Allen in year 2. If Woodie doesn't work out I think we get a new one next season.