• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCONN Opening Line -17

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, Rizman said:

Not good, we needed Navy to play them.   Now Navy has a bye week to rest up.

They still have Memphis before they play us.  So it really shouldn't impact the game vs USF.  If anything, Memphis is the one that should be worrying since Navy has an extra week to prepare for a very important divisional match-up.

Also, Navy plays Notre Lame the week after, so perhaps USF can be their trap game?

Funny enough, due to the storm, Tulane also got a bye week before having to play Memphis this week.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Navy needs to lose another conference game if we're going to be able to host Houston

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

5 hours ago, charsibb said:

Navy needs to lose another conference game if we're going to be able to host Houston

They will, to us

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

They will, to us

I think he meant they'll have to lose another one besides us. If both Navy and Houston only have one conference loss, Navy will be in the CCG by way of head to head tiebreaker. That being said, I honestly don't think Navy is that great of a team, and I think they'll drop one or two other games besides us.

Edited by goldenbrahm1996

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667

7 hours ago, charsibb said:

I would not be surprised if they lose their next two games against us and Memphis.

Edited by bullsmeanbusiness

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf should cover unless there is bad weather

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Here are the numbers to think about.

(1) USF will give up 20 points or more on defense. Look at our record, we haven't stopped anybody.

(2) We'll score on Uconn, unless something goes terribly wrong. Q: How many points?

(3) We're going to need at least 4 TDs on offense to have a safe victory (no heart attacks). Anything fewer, and it's going to go from bad to worse... I don't want to be down at halftime like the Syracuse game!

I guess I'm old school; I want my guys to stop other teams. Defense first. Right now, Bulls football is all about scoring, so it's offense first. Remember a few years ago when the defense needed to keep the opponent from going over 17 points? Welcome to the other side! I guess it's now "the 4-TD margin."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, HudsonBull said:

Here are the numbers to think about.

(1) USF will give up 20 points or more on defense. Look at our record, we haven't stopped anybody.

(2) We'll score on Uconn, unless something goes terribly wrong. Q: How many points?

(3) We're going to need at least 4 TDs on offense to have a safe victory (no heart attacks). Anything fewer, and it's going to go from bad to worse... I don't want to be down at halftime like the Syracuse game!

I guess I'm old school; I want my guys to stop other teams. Defense first. Right now, Bulls football is all about scoring, so it's offense first. Remember a few years ago when the defense needed to keep the opponent from going over 17 points? Welcome to the other side! I guess it's now "the 4-TD margin."

We were up 28-17 at halftime against cuse. We were losing 17-0 after the first Q though. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Our defense is much better from a scoring standpoint than a yardage standpoint. We are #100 in yards allowed per game but #56 in points allowed per game. If the defense averaged giving up 20ppg for the season we would be a top 25 scoring defense. WVU sits at #26 scoring defense with exactly 20ppg allowed. If you took our non-FSU average we're in that range as a scoring defense. Including the FSU game we are an average defense. If the defense allows yardage and about 20 ppg the rest of the way in most games then we win out. If the defense allows teams into the 30s then we may lose a game or two.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348

13 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

Our defense is much better from a scoring standpoint than a yardage standpoint. We are #100 in yards allowed per game but #56 in points allowed per game. If the defense averaged giving up 20ppg for the season we would be a top 25 scoring defense. WVU sits at #26 scoring defense with exactly 20ppg allowed. If you took our non-FSU average we're in that range as a scoring defense. Including the FSU game we are an average defense. If the defense allows yardage and about 20 ppg the rest of the way in most games then we win out. If the defense allows teams into the 30s then we may lose a game or two.

This is one thing that I don't think people realize when they say "OMG our defense is so miserable." Who cares how many yards you give up, as long us you're limiting the amount of points the other team scores, that's all that matters. Our yardage against numbers look so bad because we've played teams like Cuse, ECU, and Cincy who all run a super up tempo offense with a ridiculous amount of plays in a given game. Although this clearly isn't one of the better defensive squads we've seen over the years, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. You're obviously gonna give up more yardage against a team that runs a play every 15 seconds.

Edited by goldenbrahm1996
  • Upvote 1