• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Going for the last second touchdown

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

Get used to it. The way things are in college football and the way USF will be coached. Everyone wanted a winner, no you have one and it still isn't good enough. 

Crazier things have happened.  ECU coming back from 16 down with under a minute left would shock no one. We get up by three scores and the back-ups are in. We had a two score advantage=starters say in. As simple as that, our starters come out late with a three score lead. Its been that way all season so i'm not sure why people are so up in arms lol. 

I'm far from being hurt over this. I'll take this any day over what we had when Skip was here, but even Hawkins, who is a former coach himself, couldn't figure out the point of it. the announcers were obviously totally confused by it. There's a reason it's being discussed so much on this board. An aggressive move by Taggart without a doubt, but you can't see why people are questioning this move?

Guest PCBull14
8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Call me crazy, but in my book, up 16 with a minute to go counts as a safe enough lead for the backups to come in.

We've all seen crazier happen. I know I have. Hell I can think back to high school where I watched a team come back from 21 down with under two minutes left in a State Championship Final. A win isn't a win until its over. 

Guest PCBull14
6 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

I'm far from being hurt over this. I'll take this any day over what we had when Skip was here, but even Hawkins, who is a former coach himself, couldn't figure out the point of it. the announcers were obviously totally confused by it. There's a reason it's being discussed so much on this board. An aggressive move by Taggart without a doubt, but you can't see why people are questioning this move?

Hawkins is the last person I would take coaching advice from just saying. 

But I see why people are questioning it, what I don't understand is how this thread already looks like its on it way to 15-20 pages. Not that big of deal. You wanna be a big boy then you call your games like such. 

11 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

We've all seen crazier happen. I know I have. Hell I can think back to high school where I watched a team come back from 21 down with under two minutes left in a State Championship Final. A win isn't a win until its over. 

Which is another reason to take a knee rather than risking a turnover or an injury. We got away with it, but it's easy to see why people are questioning it. Judging from the post game interview though, this will be the norm going forward.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

But that's the point. If we take a knee, it's impossible for them to come back. The ONLY way you can lose this game is by screwing around with the ball late.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

With our trouble with success in the intermediate to long passing game the last two games that's exactly what they needed to try to get confidence back and carry momentum into the next game. Don't like how we're doing better on the short passes and missing the longer ones. We want both, but the long gives us better quick strike ability. That's worth a few plays of risk. 

Guest PCBull14
1 minute ago, USFBulls727 said:

Which is another reason to take a knee rather than risking a turnover or an injury. We got away with it, but it's easy to see it people are questioning it. Judging from the post game interview though, this will be the norm going forward.

We will agree to disagree. 

I hope it continues and I hope we get scores doing it. Feels great to have coach do what it actually says he will do. Michigan was pouring it on Rutgers up by 57 in the 4th. We sit here in Tampa complaining about running our offense up by 16.:applause:

A game last 60 minutes. You play for 60 minutes end of story. No cone complained when FSU had starters in the game late against us attempting to score. Now our team can't do the same with and even smaller lead.:lmao:

These type of threads give me tons a laughs throughout the day. Enjoy the win people and get ready for the massacre we are about to lay on UCONN. That one could get like the Cincinnati game last year. Wide open offense all day, which is exactly what you didn't see yesterday. CWT being questioned on this issue is not good for remaining teams on our schedule. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Quickly read through this and did not see Greg Schiano mentioned.  Remember when, as Bucs coach, an opposing team took a knee and he instructed his guys to dive into the O line of the other team.  You don't think the entire league noticed that crap?  I equate what happened yesterday to what he did back then. I get the "then let them stop me thing" but there was absolutely no reason to 1) have your starters in there and 2) try to run up the score. Nothing good could have come from that.  A guy running a pattern tears an ACL, a late hit on Flowers, an offensive lineman getting a knee rolled up on.  It just was senseless.  If your pi$$ed at the other coach for being a cry baby, just remember that for the next time you play them.  If he wanted to put the second team in there then I am okay with them getting reps and playing it out but even then, with 17 seconds to go, you should probably take a knee.  No reason to put any of your players at risk. 

As for looking good for the polls, does anyone really think that if we had beat them by 23 instead of 16 that it would make ANY difference?

Best explanation I heard from a friend was that Taggart had a lot of money riding on the game and wanted to beat the spread.  I don't think for one second that is the case but from an outsiders perspective it made as much sense as anything else.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well put Bourbon. Totally agree with you. Has nothing to do with people being too sensitive. Just want to see smart decisions being made.

Edited by USFBulls727
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Truthfully if it's a non conference game I can see it with your backups in there.  But to do it in a conference game against a team you will play every year is asking for trouble.  

If he keeps this up throughout conference play, it will make for an interesting conference meeting next year with the other coaches.  Unless of course, he's planning to jump ship after this year. :icon_drink: