• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have Simply Failed to Field a Competitive Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Just now, Rex Havoc said:

I've seen betting tacking in my flag football league...haha 

giphy.gif

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

45 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This defense is balls.

Why can't we have nice things? Defense was booty.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

Temple used the FSU offensive game plan. USF simply can't set the edge on defence and their LB's are not physical enough to stop the Run. It amazes me that they make no adjustments to compensate for it. 

Navy may run for 700 yds. It seems that they just won't make adjustments.

Temple physically kicked their Butt.

hopefully QF IS OK

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

This is the worst defense in USF history. Yes, I know the Cosh defense. This team has given up over 500 yards in three different games this year (out of 8). We have lost two of those games (somehow we beat Syracuse). This defense can't stop the run and doesn't stop the pass. Since we have entered conference play we are giving up 444 yards per game (Temple game still going on so it will be worse than that), Cosh did better. Woodie has got to go, this is not the way a defense for a "championship caliber" team is supposed to play. As others have stated the first real good defense we play we will lose and that is exactly what happened. We will win more games this year because of the offense but no conference title and no eastern division title. The book is out on this defense so get ready to see defensive ineptitude continue.

Edited by Buller64
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Still not Cosh levels bad. That was a putrid defense.

8 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

Still not Cosh levels bad. That was a putrid defense.

I agree.  This is bad in a different way.  Cosh was automatic pass for 1st down over the middle.  This is automatic run for 8 yards.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:24 PM, FazaUSF said:

This defense is going to be CWT'S Achilles heel later this year. If we are fortunate to just keep scoring more often than our opponents can, and we scrape by on our way to face Houston, I do not believe we will be able to score on them as easily as they will have their way with our defense. 

Promoting CRW was loyal and honorable, but I have to wonder if he has the right mentorship around him to help him learn and succeed. CWT is clearly an offensive mind, and he will be more attuned to what the offense is doing than mentoring a new D Coordinator. The offense is laudable finally, though I would argue the overall gameplan against FSU was pretty lacking. Defense wins championships, and this won't be our year without a dramatic change (and fast).

Well, I am sorry to report that it did not take very long for this prediction to come true. What championship-seeking team gives up nearly half a hundred to Temple? The manner in which the entire secondary plays is frustrating, but I believe it is a mix of position coaching as well as overall approach. We are one or two ankle sprains away from the offense being unable to score a third of the average attributable to sheer personnel alone, and this defense on an average game day makes mediocre offenses look good, and makes poor offenses look quite serviceable. The USF second half of the year implosion is a guarantee without quite significant improvement considering our schedule. At this rate, Navy and Houston with both actually put up 100 points on us.

5 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Well, I am sorry to report that it did not take very long for this prediction to come true. What championship-seeking team gives up nearly half a hundred to Temple? The manner in which the entire secondary plays is frustrating, but I believe it is a mix of position coaching as well as overall approach. We are one or two ankle sprains away from the offense being unable to score a third of the average attributable to sheer personnel alone, and this defense on an average game day makes mediocre offenses look good, and makes poor offenses look quite serviceable. The USF second half of the year implosion is a guarantee without quite significant improvement considering our schedule. At this rate, Navy and Houston with both actually put up 100 points on us.

The D was questionable right out of the gate against a team I had never heard of.  Unfortunately the "all offense" strategy doesn't work in the long run.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

Does Woodie have a twin brother coaching Oregon's defense?

I'm pretty sure he does, looks exactly like us. Just going thru motions 

So never hire Woodie basically.