• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is the game...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

we would win in the past. Ranked team coming into Tampa early in the season, USF being undefeated. I honestly felt this would be our return to national notoriety. I think we have been spoiled as a fan base, with so many upsets of ranked teams in the past. We would relish the spotlight and play the part of scrappy underdog to perfection, more often then not pulling an upset. As with a lot of fans, not upset we lost, just the WAY we did. We did not look ready to compete with the big boys and almost played right into their hands. 

It was great to see RJS packed again, even if it wasn't partisan. I do worry about how yesterday's result impacts future attendance this season. We are in the unfortunate situation of having to not only battle our gameday opponent, but having to lobby the fans to come out to see it every week. Maybe I'm wrong and we draw 40+ the rest of the way (would be ecstatic with that), however the Tampa fanbase is fairweather and I can just see the excuses flying in. 

Gotta get a few other points off my chest:

- why were we rushing 4 lineman with no help for the majority of the game? Surely with what Cook did to us last year, we sell out to stop him and make the redshirt frosh beat us. By the time we adjusted, late 4th, the game was well out of reach. Hated seeing a future NFL star get so much SPACE. 

- If Cook is a USF killer, D'Ernest Johnson must give FSU nightmares. Is that 5 TDs in 2 games against them? As much as Cook has against us. Love the way he plays, really lucky to have him. 

- Offensively, we seemed to run out of ideas early on. Even the commentators said it, we looked vanilla. I think we should have pressed them more with the option, getting the ball on QFs hands more often. The offense also has a nasty habit of going 3 and out consecutively on multipe drives, happened early in the Syracuse game as well. 

- Was not going to post this but have to be honest: I didn't like QFs body language after our drives started stalling. I'm a huge fan of his because of his competitiveness, however didn't see that out of him early on so much. After that screen pass he one hopped to Adams during the start of the 4th drive, he seemed to lose that juice.

Edited by LewSFBulls
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

The two big differences between those teams and this one are:

• Playmakers on defense who disrupt the backfield
  • Quarterback who can throw and has moxie

This is a fun team to watch but but they have limitations.

And a first year DC that appears in over his head.

• Upvote 2

Guest PCBull14

Yes, this is the game Jim Leavitt would've lost as well. Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Miami. I've watched this team get the crap the beaten out of them against teams with good rushing attacks, a lot of those at home in Tampa..Those teams had way less talent then FSU and a track record that couldn't even hold the Seminole cheerleaders jock straps.  

Hell Rutgers beats us when we're #2 and then came back a few years later and shut us out up in jersey. Note that shut out was after beating us like we stole some the year before. But hey Go the Jimmer! 

BTW this FSU team is the best team this program as ever faced and they will prove it. This USF team is far from finished and they will prove it. 

A lot of people feel like the OP. That's fine I respect that opinion, but I don't buy it. Hell our fans didn't even think the game was important enough to show up to. 

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, LewSFBulls said:

we would win in the past. Ranked team coming into Tampa early in the season, USF being undefeated. I honestly felt this would be our return to national notoriety. I think we have been spoiled as a fan base, with so many upsets of ranked teams in the past. We would relish the spotlight and play the part of scrappy underdog to perfection, more often then not pulling an upset. As with a lot of fans, not upset we lost, just the WAY we did. We did not look ready to compete with the big boys and almost played right into their hands. 

It was great to see RJS packed again, even if it wasn't partisan. I do worry about how yesterday's result impacts future attendance this season. We are in the unfortunate situation of having to not only battle our gameday opponent, but having to lobby the fans to come out to see it every week. Maybe I'm wrong and we draw 40+ the rest of the way (would be ecstatic with that), however the Tampa fanbase is fairweather and I can just see the excuses flying in. 

Gotta get a few other points off my chest:

- why were we rushing 4 lineman with no help for the majority of the game? Surely with what Cook did to us last year, we sell out to stop him and make the redshirt frosh beat us. By the time we adjusted, late 4th, the game was well out of reach. Hated seeing a future NFL star get so much SPACE. 

- If Cook is a USF killer, D'Ernest Johnson must give FSU nightmares. Is that 5 TDs in 2 games against them? As much as Cook has against us. Love the way he plays, really lucky to have him. 

- Offensively, we seemed to run out of ideas early on. Even the commentators said it, we looked vanilla. I think we should have pressed them more with the option, getting the ball on QFs hands more often. The offense also has a nasty habit of going 3 and out consecutively on multipe drives, happened early in the Syracuse game as well. 

- Was not going to post this but have to be honest: I didn't like QFs body language after our drives started stalling. I'm a huge fan of his because of his competitiveness, however didn't see that out of him early on so much. After that screen pass he one hopped to Adams during the start of the 4th drive, he seemed to lose that juice.

I think you all are guilty of remembering the past too fondly. We got our butts kicked plenty of times by the big boys before we stole a few. 

I will trade an out of conference loss for conference competitiveness/ championship contention any day. This game was just a measuring stick against a better team. We aren't there yet, learn and move on. 

I agree with points 2 and 3.

Our offense is quick... We score quick or have missed opportunities quick. No real changing that unless we press the run to try and slow it down like we did. 

I would say QF still had the drive even in the 4th. He was just frustrated like all of us. Can you imagine having to pay a perfect game because your defense isn't stopping anything? Shoot "Frenchy" looked horrible but nobody talks about it because the running game seemed unstoppable. Just look at his stats, I had to fuss at those wearing or colors openly complaing about Flowers skipping passes, but praising "Frenchy" when he did the same thing. You get a pass when you're winning. 

This team is going to bounce back and do great things in the AAC. Our defense is designed to stop the spread,not the power run hence why navy worries me. But we kept it close last year while our team was banged up. I assume we'll do even better seeming as they don't have Reynolds. 

Much love Bulls, our day is coming. This is one loss. Hopefully our last of the year!

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

How'd that 2009 FSU team finish again? 7-6 (4-4)

49838692.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, George Jenkins said:

How'd that 2009 FSU team finish again? 7-6 (4-4)

49838692.jpg

I agree with George here, most of the teams that we beat that were ranked at the time were average teams with big names(ND, Auburn, FSU). The only solid top 10 team we've ever beaten was WV, a smaller, faster team that we were able to match up with. 

FSU looked like a true top 10 team yesterday. Unfortunately looks like we are not ready to compete at that level just yet but we can definitely still run the table in the American.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

The two big differences between those teams and this one are:

• Playmakers on defense who disrupt the backfield
  • Quarterback who can throw and has moxie

This is a fun team to watch but but they have limitations.

Yea those teams were limitless back then! <sarcasm/>

I am not inclined to criticize our QB's.  As Bench showed this week they are all good guys.  They all had their up sides and downsides.  The QB's with moxie would not always take care of the football.

I will defend our QB's though.  Pay attention to QF's body language in the next game we are blowing someone out. It is hysterical and consistent.  Winning or losing he always looks frustrated or downtrodden or whatever that look is.  

As for the OP.  FSU was better than us, playing with a chip on its shoulder after last week.  A buzz-saw of something to prove mixed with talent.

In the past we beat teams like Pitt (first big upset), FSU, Auburn and Miami when they were in their nadir.  We were coach killers if you recall where losing to us was the last straw for a lot of coaches.

If we would have won yesterday it would have been against a true top 10 team with one of the best coaches in the country who has recruited top 5 classes the last few years.  Against that, our offense still scored 35 points.

Our offense is great, our defense needs a lot a work obviously.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Told my friend I'll be pissed if this Fsu team looks like crap the rest of the year...hope they win out and kill the Gators.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Told my friend I'll be pissed if this Fsu team looks like crap the rest of the year...hope they win out and kill the Gators.

I don't think FSU beats Clemson and Miami may beat them too.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I don't think FSU beats Clemson and Miami may beat them too.

It's wishful hoping, I think they beat Miami...Clemson likely will beat them.

Edited by Bulls On Parade