• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How do you feel about this football team & season?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

9 minutes ago, Triple B said:

but I'm not really buying into this "we snuck up on everybody last year" mentality. 

Those closest to the program knew not what to expect - re: Flowers especially.  His freshman play left little to worry about or be hopeful for. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Those closest to the program knew not what to expect - re: Flowers especially.  His freshman play left little to worry about or be hopeful for. 

Those farthest from the program knew not what to expect going in.... just saying that by the end of the season, those teams we played knew what to expect but it didn't matter and hopefully that continues in some manner this year.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

A lot of time has passed. Included with opponent spring and fall prep were months, not weeks, of film.  We will need to be much better to have same results. At least that's the way I look at it as a coach. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

5 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

I disagree about our kicking.  We ranked last in the conf on FG at 15 for 23 and last in the conf on touchbacks with 7 for 81.

I am really not worried about Nadelman on FGs. 6 out of the 8 missed FGs were from 43 yards or longer. 4 of those from 46 or longer. That's asking a lot for a kid in his first year as the full time PL. Really only had 1 bad miss.  

We got spoiled with Kloss booming them, but Nadelman will be just fine. 

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

Things I'm sure about:

Mack running

Flowers running

Receivers catching and running

Athletic ability (best in USF's history)

Things I worry about:

Offensive line

Defensive ends

The Defense without Tom Allen

Flowers throwing over 20+ yards with accuracy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

Things I'm sure about:

Mack running

Flowers running

Receivers catching and running

Athletic ability (best in USF's history)

Things I worry about:

Offensive line

Defensive ends

The Defense without Tom Allen

Flowers throwing over 20+ yards with accuracy

I'm fine with Q and the long ball. I worry more about the 3- 8 yard range. 

Everything else I agree with. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

3 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

I am really not worried about Nadelman on FGs. 6 out of the 8 missed FGs were from 43 yards or longer. 4 of those from 46 or longer. That's asking a lot for a kid in his first year as the full time PL. Really only had 1 bad miss.  

We got spoiled with Kloss booming them, but Nadelman will be just fine. 

Other teams had first year kickers too.  Also our touchback percentage was terrible and I bet I can find the stats that say we had one of the worst starting field positions for our defense.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

15 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

My biggest concern for in conference games is Temple. Friday night away game with much on the line. Not as worried about Cincy as some others on here are. 

I'm with you on Cincy.  Temple will be a tough game though.  I think we can win it, I don't think it will be easy.  But I'm thinking Cincy might be a lot easier than some people think.  New offense going from passing air raid system to a more balanced run first offense.  They haven't recruited for this system and I don't think it matches what they have.  Oh... Their defense will still be atrocious. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

55 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Other teams had first year kickers too.  Also our touchback percentage was terrible and I bet I can find the stats that say we had one of the worst starting field positions for our defense.  

You are too caught up in pure FG %. He had more attempts from >40 yards than anyone in the conference and made more from >40 than all but Elliot who is probably the best kicker in the country. Almost half his fg attempts were more than 40 yards.  Under 40 he was fine. 

I am not disagreeing that we need more touchbacks  my point was that the way we kicked off last year seemed by design.  most were high and on the sideline.  Our kick coverage was decent  we were 2nd in the conference in least yards per return.  I would prefer to see them out of the end zone, but as long as our kick coverage remains strong we will be fine 

I am less concerned with overall FG % if he has to kick more than half from more than 40yards. I am more concerned that he can make  the 30-35 yarder under pressure, when we need it.  I also want to see consistency in that range and in.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

10 hours ago, Brad said:

I feel like we are still young, much hyped, untested.  Someone mentioned in another thread the advantage last season of being predicted #129 or whatever, no one really has to game plan for you.  Remember the uncertainty when QF would pass ... and the delight when he connected?  I don't think some of those plays come as easily this season.

I think the expectations have far exceeded this team's combined ability, playing and coaching experience.  Maybe I have just been ruined over the years watching a program with potential be held to such high expectations that it crumbles from within.  I don't want it to happen to this squad, but success was new to them last season, we'll see how they handle it this season.

I worry about the same things, the OL, the DEs and what our defense overall will play like.  This is the season to prove the last was not a fluke.  But now with a target on your back not in your scope.

Take it a game at a time, with the goal of getting better every day.  Show that week to week, game to game improvement we didn't see with Holtz.  Have to work hard.  In turn, I won't be looking for 9 or 10 wins, but a team that continues to grow and wins the games they are supposed to win.  I guess I am in that take it one game at a time camp.

I'm trying to figure out where we're young and untested outside one offensive Tackle position and at DE.   Coaches don't care about "predicited"... USF didn't sneak up anybody.  I mean the team has improved every season and it seems it's always our fans that are last to take notice.  The defense returns more experience than we've had in a really long time.  Talent too.  These guys aren't young... many have been starting for a couple of years now.  Most are certainly battle tested.  Taggarts first class are the seniors now primarily.  The juniors down are his.  Like I said... this team in not inexperienced by any stretch of the imagination.  People game planned for us last season, will do it again this season but there are more wrinkles Taggart added also... he mentioned it when he got back from Baylor earlier in the summer.  This offense hard to stop because of the talent and athleticism, accompanied with discipline.  If anything, this team is disciplined which is what CJL never got the team to be.  Taggart is driving this bus... it's time we started trusting the guy and this team.