• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How do you feel about this football team & season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I know there's been a lot of positive press written about our team and so on. Are you buying into all the hype?

When I saw us play FSU last year, one thing that was clear to me, we didn't have depth. They wore us down in the second half. And if we had depth, we would have never lost to Navy.

I have no expectations this season. None. I want this team to get me fired up again. They could have won that bowl game big, but they were so young and they thought they could just phone it in (during the warmups you could tell that the players were not even "there").

We have a lot to work with this year (talent and players), but there have been quite a number of coaching changes.

Here are my questions, not in any special order:

(1) Will we be able to kickoff more than 15 yards each time this year?

(2) How's the O-line going to play, especially against FSU?

(3) What kind of defense is going to be on the field? Big mystery to me.

(4) How's our depth going to hold up for those important games?

Show me what you've got USF football!

Edited by TimBulla

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I feel good I think the offense has on paper the potential to be our best ever.

Defense also has potential to be near tops ever.

How season plays out depends on several things..does team play to its potential or does it listen to hype and slack off.  Team also needs to stay healthy for most part.

I expect if we play hard and stay healthy over 9 wins.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019

2 hours ago, TimBulla said:

I know there's been a lot of positive press written about our team and so on. Are you buying into all the hype?

We've been burned by hype before.  I think we have a lot of potential.

But, like the team should, I'll take it one game at a time.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

My biggest concern for in conference games is Temple. Friday night away game with much on the line. Not as worried about Cincy as some others on here are. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

On paper , this is probably the best team we have ever fielded.  Not only the talent, but we do have not only athletic depth, a good deal of experience in many positions with guys that may come in off the bench.  I have said it before, while it always important to have a good offensive line, I think we can move the ball consistently even if they are just average.  This is not the same offense as we saw Willie's first two years.  As long as he continues to spread the field and let the playmakers make plays the ball will move down the field.  If he resorts to just trying to line up and overpower the other team straight ahead we won't move the ball.  

I also think this may be one of the best defenses ever.  Again, great depth on D with a lot of experience.

I was never really concerned about the depth of the kickoffs last because almost every kickoff was near the sideline and we did a good job of pinning the returners into a corner.  

My only concerns are on the coaching side of things. I believe the success of the team this year will be how well Woodie can make good decisions and adjustments on defense when needed. the other area of concern for me (maybe not a concern, but will be a determining factor in the true success of our team) will be the situational decisions.  A lot of our wins last year were blow outs.  Still to be answered is can Taggart make the right play calls or personnel calls in a tight game down the stretch?  In a close game that can mean the difference in a win or loss.  

I like the coaching staff, I like the athletes on the team, I am looking for one of our best years ever.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I think the O can be a concern as well. While it might seem like a long time ago, sometimes we were too conservative on O. We were still poor on 3rd down conversions overall and could be very predictable on O. I expect lots of stacking the box against our O and think D's will have us marked on their calendar and be ready.

On the flip side I really saw so much progress from QF as a QB last year it was pretty amazing. If he stayed on that trajectory with CSK working with him, I am hopeful that we will rectify our deficiencies and be able to attack those 3-8 yrds plays which are critical for moving the chains. He has has some big targets this year which should help.

D is a big question mark for me. I have seen more press on Auggie than CWR when it comes to the D. We will quickly find out if he has the stuff to be a DC at this level or not. 

Talent wise we seem ready, with some depth yet young/inexperienced at several positions.

All and all though I am more worried about our coaching as we have had notable changes.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Barring injury this will be the best season ever for USF.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

I will tell you after Saturday nights game.   It is a long season and this team has to be mentally tough to get through some of the hard fought games.  This is what I love about college football, you never know who is going to have a great season at times. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

I believe this team will be something special this year. We had false hope in years pasto, hopes built around a few players here and there. I think this team is built right mentally and physically. 

They're hungry, seeming as they aren't far removed from being the laughing stalk of the league. I believe they know they haven't accomplished anything yet and ate going to fight tooth and nail for their special place in history. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322

5 hours ago, TimBulla said:

I have no expectations this season. None. I want this team to get me fired up again. They could have won that bowl game big, but they were so young and they thought they could just phone it in (during the warmups you could tell that the players were not even "there").

I don't think WKU gets enough credit in that game. As I've said before, we still managed to put up 35 points against a good team. A loss is a loss but looking at some of the plays we made I'd say we took it seriously. That's also some of the worst officiating in a game I've seen.