• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Breaking down last year's offensive game film

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, raptorcj said:

I know the deflating feeling you're talking about, but man, we wouldn't even have finished within 10 if it hadn't been for QF. Not to mention it's really unlikely (IMO) that we'd have made a bowl game without him in the first place.

I'm just saying that was one of those "what the heck" moments that he had during the past season. QF is the future of our football team, though and I have no doubt he will improve on his passing abilities and will lead us to more success 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

14 hours ago, BULLZ said:

Out of those 23 attempts the vast majority of them were bubble screens, jet sweeps with the forward flip that technically counts as a pass. I just think that if we implemented some time of intermediary pass game our offense could be that much better.

The tight end seam passes were money ALL YEAR we need to do more of that stuff. 

Plus we have the best receivers USF has EVER had. We need to utilize that strength.

That is a great idea, but as you pointed out QF is absolutely terrible on those kinds of throws.  At least, he has been terrible on those intermediate throws the last two years.  Have to hope he's figured that out if we want the offense to really click.  QF was dangerous last year, but as you point out the offense was far from well rounded.

Now the QF lovers can rain down their hatred upon me once again, for being a realist.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

5 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

That is a great idea, but as you pointed out QF is absolutely terrible on those kinds of throws.  At least, he has been terrible on those intermediate throws the last two years.  Have to hope he's figured that out if we want the offense to really click.  QF was dangerous last year, but as you point out the offense was far from well rounded.

Now the QF lovers can rain down their hatred upon me once again, for being a realist.

Actually, yours is a lot more realistic than the op's. If someone is determined to find fault with last year's record breaking offense, the only real place to look is QF's completion record ... not the number, or type, of pass plays called.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Actually, yours is a lot more realistic than the op's. If someone is determined to find fault with last year's record breaking offense, the only real place to look is QF's completion record ... not the number, or type, of pass plays called.

Exactly.  If he can fix that, the offense can really take off.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201

Flowers with a good intermediate passing game..and this team will dominate this schedule.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The intermediate passing game is important to keep the chains moving. Especially in the tight games against the better teams. If he can clean the intermediate, 8 to 15 yard passes up it will help a lot in improving our "situational" game. Improvement there could be the difference between conference champs or a top 25 ranking or not. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,467
  • Days Won:  25

100% agree that if QF improves the offense will be that much better. But, as was mentioned, our offense is designed to stack the box, where a lot of those 8 - 15 yd throws will be. On the broken plays where QF misses an open receiver, any chance they're just not on the same page? It only takes a split second to go from a "great play" to "way over thrown."

Most coaches will tell the receiver that when the play breaks down and the QB is scrambling to come back to him. I think there will be fewer of those because these guys now have a year of learning what to expect from each other. Yes, I said a year because I feel like QF's freshman year was a waste for all of us.

:2cents:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Exactly.  If he can fix that, the offense can really take off.

Yup, this offense could be scary good if Q takes the next step as a passer and the OL comes together and stays healthy. Here's to hoping both continue to improve between now and the opener. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761

20 hours ago, raptorcj said:

I know the deflating feeling you're talking about, but man, we wouldn't even have finished within 10 if it hadn't been for QF. Not to mention it's really unlikely (IMO) that we'd have made a bowl game without him in the first place.

If QF takes a significant stride next year in his passing game we could very well be a 1 loss team.

Edited by BULLZ

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, BULLZ said:

If QF takes a significant stride next year in his passing game we could very well be a 1 loss team.

If Wanky takes a significant stride in his passing game over last year, we go undefeated ...