• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defence needs to tackle better

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

One of the reasons UCONN gained so many yards was to many missed tackles. This is something that has plagued them throughout the year.

i know it's hard to complain about the D but this could be a GREAT defense not just a good one. It could be something that could Bite them in the Butt down the road.

Not sure if its bad technique or strength? 

I had turned into one of CWT biggest detractors.But I have to say I am very happy he seems to have turned it around. If he recruited well before it can only get better as the team gets better

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Yes technique needs work..plus young team.

watching to see if tackling gets better later in the season.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'd say the zone defense gave UConn more yards to a slightly higher degree than the tackling did.  UConn also got a couple big plays when we went for the pick and missed.  

Where tackling REALLY needs work is on kickoffs/punt returns.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

yes, special teams tackling please! IMO, tackling on defense is not glaringly bad in the big scheme of things. Needs a little work but it's not costing us games at this point and we're good at it more than we're bad (much thanks to guys like Byrd & Sanchez). You can bet TA is taking names during the tapes, though--he's not gonna let that stuff slide.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

The tackling has me most worried about Navy.  Won't be able to rely on good pass coverage, or qb pressure to stall drives a lot in that game.  Will need to tackle and wrap up immediately to keep them from pulling a Dalvin Cook all over us.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The tackling has me most worried about Navy.  Won't be able to rely on good pass coverage, or qb pressure to stall drives a lot in that game.  Will need to tackle and wrap up immediately to keep them from pulling a Dalvin Cook all over us.  

That kid was special, we learned some lessons with him (mainly wrapping up), but I'm not sure how much better we could have done. We shut down the other FSU RB.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

They have me really worried too. The triple offense really stresses a defense by forcing defenders to play pure assignment football and putting them in one on one tackling situations. If you miss those one on one tackles and/or don't play your assignment the offense will get chunk plays all day long. Navy will be the biggest test the Bullsharks have all season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

Just finished watching the replay.  it's not lack of effort. I believe it's a lack of technique some of those guys just don't seem to take good angles or breakdown properly when they go for a tackle.  My guess was they gave at least 50 to 75 extra yards because of missed tackles. That would be a disaster against a better opponent. 

this Defense, if they tackled well they would be scary great not just good.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

They have me really worried too. The triple offense really stresses a defense by forcing defenders to play pure assignment football and putting them in one on one tackling situations. If you miss those one on one tackles and/or don't play your assignment the offense will get chunk plays all day long. Navy will be the biggest test the Bullsharks have all season. 

You think they can move Senat, Hamilton and Hector around?  I think if these guys clog the middle and do not take themselves out of plays and take away that FB dive taht our team speed will cause Navy some problems. Still have to tackle though. Reminds me a lot of the old WVU gams, stay disciplined.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You think they can move Senat, Hamilton and Hector around?  I think if these guys clog the middle and do not take themselves out of plays and take away that FB dive taht our team speed will cause Navy some problems. Still have to tackle though. Reminds me a lot of the old WVU gams, stay disciplined.

Navy cut blocks llike nobodies business. They don't have to drive them 3yds down the line to be successful just cut them to the ground or force them to be too occupied fighting off those cut blocks. The DL will have to be ready to protect their legs all day because Navy is going to try to chop them down all game long.