• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is this better/worse than right before Holtz was canned?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I distinctly remember the moment when I read the confirmation that Holtz had been canned. I don't want to look it up (when in the season), as it's nothing to be proud of because it meant USF football had hit bottom. Anyway, I'm getting that feeling again. Quite strong, too.

Anyway, my point in starting this topic is to see if there's anything to be done about it? Can things change? Can the season be salvaged at this point?

A firing will mean another hiring and then rebuilding for a third time. No Bull wants this.

This Bus is headed for a cliff. What can be done now? Is it too late?

*Just so you know, this is not based on the loss to Memphis. It's about the offense under CWT since day 1.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

IMHO, I think it's better.  I think overall we're more talented.  The QB is unknown because we don't know what Woulard can do yet.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Not quite to Holtz firing.  I was at the 2012 Pitt game when everyone was out with torches and pitch forks.  It was the last game and I believe he was fired right after or the next day.

There is talent on this team to turn this around but I believe it would take Taggart doing a mea culpa and that's just not in his DNA.  He will fall on his sword proving that a conservative power O west coast offense is the formula to success rather than admit he was wrong and change things.

Look 2 hours to the north to see how a good coach can quickly turn around a program by adapting to the talent he has on hand.  28 games in and we're seeing the same crap.

Taggart must free flowers or Harlan will free willie

Edited by El_Toro_86
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

Well, we have a better team than Holtz last year, but fan support is at an all time low. USF being a bowl contender that could play with anybody is a distant memory. Don't know how much longer the program can sustain these seasons.

I do think we will be a bowl eligible team if Woulard is the QB that we hope he is. He will be surrounded by great players. Regardless of who the coach is.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think there is a huge difference between this situation and with Holtz. The problem with Holtz, at that point in his tenure, was it was very clear the level of talent was down and the team didn't look like there was anything on the horizon to give the team hope for improvement any time soon. 

Right now, it appears that there is a big improvement in talent and the problem is in-game coaching. The recruiting is there. Personnel is there to be at least a bowl team this year with the right game management and planning. 

The season is salvageable as long as Taggart just lets someone else run the offensive show. That is clearly where the issues are. That is the most frustrating part. 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

I follow someone on Twitter who hashtags "The new coach will win immediately" often.  I'm compelled to agree, especially given this most recent game that essentially Taggart lost.  Replace him, and things might click.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

Taggart has ball control and a decent defensive coordinator which holtz didn't have with Floyd \Cosh.  So its s much better.  Taggart is just so dang stubborn but I think it's more that.  He can't get out of his own way.  We'd do fine if the other offense is dysfunctional as ours like ucf but we won't win against  anyone else.  Taggart needs to unleash the playbook and be more unpredictable and he can still be OK.  I doubt he'll be employed here but at least he can leave on a good note.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I believe it's about the same.  We played better competition when Skip was here 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

If you are saying they were wrong to fire Skip, they weren't. He was bringing in a bunch of 2* white guys that picked USF over Troy, FIU, and Devry. Willie has been slightly better in that regard, but uses the same risk aversion philosophy with even more conservative playcalling. The choice to fire Skip was correct, the half azz coaching hire (and with Woolard, was there any other way?) wasn't. 

Edited by cambodia36

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Seriously....  can you just leave it at 2* players