• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Bulls Up the Intensity During Open Date

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls Up the Intensity During Open Date

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, SEPT. 23, 2015 – USF Football has an extra week to prepare for its conference opener and the Bulls are taking full advantage of an open date.

Head coach Willie Taggart’s squad has suited up in full pads the past two days for practices that have taken on a training camp vibe.

“That intensity has been there and we talked about getting back to it,” Taggart said. “When we were that way in training camp, things were going well for us. It’s getting back to practicing with tempo, practicing with enthusiasm and passion, and more importantly just executing.”

Players have been operating with an all-out style while the program fine-tunes things for what’s ahead. USF (1-2) returns to Raymond James Stadium on Friday, Oct. 2 to take on Memphis at 7 p.m. (TV: ESPN2).

“We’re trying to practice really physical and get after it,” Taggart said. “Something we felt we can get better at is being physical in every aspect.”

The Bulls know they’ll have to bring the intensity in order to improve to 3-0 in American Athletic Conference openers under Taggart. Memphis is 3-0 heading into a home test against Cincinnati on Thursday night. The Tigers are averaging 570 yards per game and rank fifth nationally in scoring offense with 54 points per outing.

“We’ve been really focused on doing those little things fundamentally and high discipline on defense,” Taggart said. “That’s going to be so important against Memphis with all the window dressing and things they do. We have to be really good with our eyes on defense and not allow our eyes to get us into trouble.”

Starting middle linebacker Auggie Sanchez said the open date is allowing USF to redefine itself with conference play marking a new season for the Bulls.

“When they look at USF, and more importantly when they look at our defense, I want us to be 11 guys flying to the football, hitting people in their mouth, hitting people every play,” Sanchez said. “I think we got a little bit away from that against Maryland and I know these few days are going to help us come back and bring this whole ‘Bull Shark’ mentality.”

Former Bulls DE Hay Attends Practice

Former USF defensive end Shawn Hay was in attendance at Wednesday’s practice and spoke passionately to the team before it headed into the locker room after the final whistle.

“I love you guys. We are Bulls, we have the same bloodline,” Hay said. “I’m heavily invested in you. You're family and you have family behind you.”

Hay played at USF from the program’s inaugural season in 1997 to 2000 and every current Bull was zeroed-in as Hay fired the team up with an inspirational speech urging the Bulls to carry on the traditiion that he and all the Bulls that came before helped establish.

“This should burn in your gut,” Hay said. “Look each other in the eye, each man out here. That is what matters.”

Hay and other former USF players like Louis Gachette have been welcomed to practice with open arms since the start of fall camp. Sanchez said the team appreciates the support and wise words from Bulls that helped set the standard for the program.

“This program means a lot to people, and it means a lot to people who have played here,” Sanchez said. “(Hay is) a guy who helped build this foundation. He’s a guy that helped build it and that’s crucial to our team, just to have guys that still care about us.”

Bulls Bits

- The Bulls recently got some good news about quarterback Asiantii Woulard, who transferred from UCLA in the offseason. Woulard, a former four-star recruit, will have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning in 2016, after getting his transfer year back. “You’re not losing a year. That’s going to really benefit the kid,” Taggart said. “You’re excited for him because he’s going to have the opportunity to be here for three years and help this football program.”

- USF is back to full strength on defense following the return of Nigel Harris and Tashon Whitehurst. The linebackers made their season debuts at Maryland after serving two-game suspensions and made an immediate impact with seven combined tackles and a tackle for loss against the Terps. “These guys will have a game under their belt and they’ll have this week off to get back in shape and get into football conditioning,” Sanchez said. “I think it’s going to be big-time and I think you’ll see our defense at its full potential.”

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=210365495#.VgL-qDJWCHk.twitter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

So our plan is to do more of the same with better execution then...anyone else comforted?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

“That intensity has been there and we talked about getting back to it,†Taggart said. “When we were that way in training camp, things were going well for us. It’s getting back to practicing with tempo, practicing with enthusiasm and passion, and more importantly just executing.â€

So where did that intensity go, and why did the coaching staff let it go?  You've got two jobs each week.  1. Make sure the mentality of the team is where it needs to be.  2.  Put together a solid game plan.  

This all sounds good, but we've heard it all before.  Sure, the players have to perform.  But it's up to the coaches to make sure the team is as ready as possible to perform.  Sounds like that hasn't been happening.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So our plan is to do more of the same with better execution then...anyone else comforted?

No, more intensity.

For three years we've been hearing CWT say that he would put players on the field that #dosomething.  Haven't seen much of anything very often.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

This sucks. I am sure Taggart didn't want for this to happen....

But now that it has, he needs to stop being so effin stubborn with his approach. 

Yes, absolutely, energy is a HUGE component of winning (see: Jim Leavitt).

Now, what is Taggart going to do this bye week to make the adjustments?

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

So our plan is to do more of the same with better execution **AND INTENSITY** then...anyone else comforted?

Thanks Data I feel so much better now...

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

This sucks. I am sure Taggart didn't want for this to happen....

But now that it has, he needs to stop being so effin stubborn with his approach. 

Yes, absolutely, energy is a HUGE component of winning (see: Jim Leavitt).

Now, what is Taggart going to do this bye week to make the adjustments?

Maybe he's running no pass plays in practice and just having a total meltdown.  

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

So our plan is to do more of the same with better execution **AND INTENSITY** then...anyone else comforted?

Thanks Data I feel so much better now...

Me too

Glad to hear they are having training camp again

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

blah blah blah

I've never seen a team that has to work so hard on passion and entusiasm.  They're 18-22 kids playing a game they supposedly love....you would think the passion and entusiasm would come natural.

• Upvote 1