• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who should we hire to be the Head Football Coach in 2016

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

Frost wouldn't come here.. he's likely to be considered for jobs that will pay more, be in a P5 conference, and be much less of a rebuild (though I think the talent is here to go 9-3 by next year)

Noel Mazzone would make some sense, but he's been mostly a west coast guy, and while I don't care if a guy has USF/FL ties, having someone with almost no experience with coaching/recruiting in FL may be an uphill battle. I wouldn't turn him away, but I'd have concerns. 

And to the anti- Charlie Strong crowd, I think he may be out of place in Texas.. I wouldn't have turned that $$ down either, but he may just be a bad fit, like Rich Rodriguez in Michigan. He'd do fine here, and considering where this program is, that would be an absolute home run hire. 

But the list made on previous page (again, outstanding list Buckeye!) with the UL-Lafayette coach among others makes the most sense as far as who USF would be able to hire, who would work salary wise, and as far as a good fit in the right point in a coaches career... I do prefer someone with some upside still left, as opposed to a Butch Davis/Larry Coker type hire where I think we'd get a guy looking for a nice place and a nice last paycheck to retire to.  

Edited by cambodia36

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

We should take a look at LA Tech. I know everyone is against hiring a coach from a head coach lower level over a hot shot assistant, but it looks like the new guy has done a decent job rebuilding after Sonny Dykes left. I don't, just a thought.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We should take a look at LA Tech. I know everyone is against hiring a coach from a lower level, but it looks like the new guy has done a decent job rebuilding after Sonny Dykes left. I don't, just a thought.

I love and hate this post so much.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

We should take a look at LA Tech. I know everyone is against hiring a coach from a head coach lower level over a hot shot assistant, but it looks like the new guy has done a decent job rebuilding after Sonny Dykes left. I don't, just a thought.

Dykes left the cupboard bare and after a year the replacement brought in JUCO powerhouses to dominate the conference. He's a recruiting machine and has coached their talent up. Home run hire if you could get him.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Has anyone brought up that U "0-4" CF will also be looking for a coach next year? 

I don't care about what UCF is doing, other than that they could probably be a more attractive location for potential coaches.. (sorry)

I think what it might come down to is: coordinator from a big school vs HC from a smaller school. 

While the smaller school route seems more logical, so far USF is 0-2 on those hires, and the 2 guys they have brought in just seem to have more of a small school mentality, where they seem to strive to be mediocre to decent (and can't even seem to get that right) with Leavitt, you at least got the sense we belonged with the big 3 in FL, even if we weren't going to be as successful year to year, you felt in a given season we could belong. Now we're firmly planted with the 'little 4' of UCF, FAU, FIU, and USF.. and probably the worst of those 4 currently. Personally I'd prefer someone from a big school who dared to dream big, and expects/demands more from his squad than "let's try to get near .500 and go to the 'Whatever awful sponsor ESPN digs up for the St. Pete Bowl' and play Central Michigan' 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

So can someone from a smaller school still dream big?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

So can someone from a smaller school still dream big?

We can dream of that New Year's Six invite.  

Maybe when they expand the playoff in 2022 a G5 school can get in.  :P

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Butch Jones seat might be getting a little hot.  Would be a strong hire.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

so many great candidates out there

i wish i had a chance to interview them

i dont trust our administration

• Upvote 1