• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Jones Article

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I read it last night. Decent but not good is a reasonable expectation. We'll see if it holds up for his future columns.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

He makes some good points, but if 3 seasons is enough to declare Holtz' time as "a shambles" (and I don't disagree), then 3 seasons ought to be enough to declare CWT's direction as pass/fail.

I'm still rooting heavily for Willie, I really like the guy and I like what he's doing to turn the players into accountable men on & off the field. Doesn't hurt he's a very solid recruiter too.

Go Bulls!

He declared Hotlz a shambles by showing the trajectory of his win/loss ratio (especially in light of what kind of team he started off with) and his inferior recruiting skills.  (We all agree that Willie is better at that, right?)

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He makes some good points, but if 3 seasons is enough to declare Holtz' time as "a shambles" (and I don't disagree), then 3 seasons ought to be enough to declare CWT's direction as pass/fail.

I'm still rooting heavily for Willie, I really like the guy and I like what he's doing to turn the players into accountable men on & off the field. Doesn't hurt he's a very solid recruiter too.

Go Bulls!

He declared Hotlz a shambles by showing the trajectory of his win/loss ratio (especially in light of what kind of team he started off with) and his inferior recruiting skills.  (We all agree that Willie is better at that, right?)

what, recruiting or win/loss ratio?  :stirpot: 

Go Bulls!

I was speaking of recruiting. The consensus around here seems to be that Willie is a much better recruiter – something I am not qualified to defend or dispute. 

Anyway, Jones is forming his assessment of Skip based on the team he inherited and the downward and sole sucking trajectory of his win loss ratio.  A valid indicator IMO.

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Go Bulls!

I was speaking of recruiting. The consensus around here seems to be that Willie is a much better recruiter – something I am not qualified to defend. 

Anyway, Jones is forming his assessment of Skip based on the team he inherited and the downward and sole sucking trajectory of his win loss ratio.  A valid indicator IMO.

You're only a good recruiter if your players win games. Right now, CWT is a better recruiter on paper. But then again, Holtz was a better hire than CWT on paper. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Go Bulls!

I sent him an email pointing this out and the fact that Holtz had 2 years of recruits, not 3.  

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Go Bulls!

While we have hashed this out several times in the past I guess we have several hours until kickoff today and a couple days until the Bulls play.

In the article his statements are factual. CSH inherited a team that had gone bowling for several years and turned that trajectory into a downward spiral. Conversely CWT inherited CSH BAD team and has the trajectory nudging upward. No arguing with those facts...

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Go Bulls!

While we have hashed this out several times in the past I guess we have several hours until kickoff today and a couple days until the Bulls play.

In the article his statements are factual. CSH inherited a team that had gone bowling for several years and turned that trajectory into a downward spiral. Conversely CWT inherited CSH BAD team and has the trajectory nudging upward. No arguing with those facts...

I say this as devil's advocate because I tend to agree with you opinion-wise, but the measurement of this makes it difficult to prove. The stuff we tend to agree he's better at are more intangibles until the product on the field shows it can produce. Right now, the on-field facts likely wouldn't support an upward trajectory.

Go Bulls!

I sent him an email pointing this out and the fact that Holtz had 2 years of recruits, not 3.

Please elaborate.  They both took over just before signing day, does that count as year 1 or 0?

Edited by mark_my_words

Go Bulls!

I say this as devil's advocate because I tend to agree with you opinion-wise, but the measurement of this makes it difficult to prove. The stuff we tend to agree he's better at are more intangibles until the product on the field shows it can produce. Right now, the on-field facts likely wouldn't support an upward trajectory.

I think Jones (and I) would agree with you about CWT - "Now, Taggart might be a lousy coach. So far, the Bulls haven't looked good under his direction. But he might be a good coach. It's way too early to tell."

But Skip's track record is pretty clear based again on his trajectory.