• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan: Big year for team, Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

In today's Trib:

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-athletic-director-says-its-a-big-year-for-football-team-taggart-20150803/

USF athletic director says it’s a big year for football team, Taggart

By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff
Published: August 3, 2015

TAMPA — University of South Florida athletic director Mark Harlan was justifiably beaming earlier this summer when he learned USF was the top-finishing American Athletic Conference program in the final Learfield Sports Director’s Cup standings.

It indicated broad-based success in USF’s athletic department. Coaches and athletes are energized, Harlan said, filled with possibilities about what USF athletics can become.

Now the real work begins.

USF must fix its football program — which has four consecutive losing seasons and a 6-18 mark in coach Willie Taggart’s two years — and Harlan knows it. Last season’s average actual attendance, according to the Tampa Sports Authority, dipped to 19,317, the program’s worst mark since 2001 and a decrease of more than 1,000 from Taggart’s first year (20,379).

Harlan said USF won’t settle for mediocrity. Taggart fired both coordinators and has four new coaches. The Bulls will shift to an offense with spread principles, while employing a 4-2-5 defense. Meanwhile, Harlan and his staff are actively seeking to rebuild the fan base — the season-ticket renewal rate has slipped to 70 percent — while improving the game-day experience.

The bottom line?

“We have to get better on the field,†Harlan said. “We have to win more games. To deny that is somewhat foolish. Winning matters. Winning is important. It’s not intramurals.â€

In a wide-ranging interview with The Tampa Tribune, Harlan offered more thoughts about USF football, which opens its preseason fall camp Thursday.

Q: Nearly every preseason magazine has Willie Taggart on the so-called hot seat. What must he do to satisfy you in his third season?

A: I definitely don’t set any numbers of wins or anything of that nature. I want to see a really good football team. I want it to have a chance to win every Saturday and win a bunch of those games. Look, Willie and I talk daily, if not hourly. We are on the same page to move this program forward. It’s his third year, and you tend to see your philosophies engrained at that point. We have high expectations — on and off the field — and I think this is the year we’re going to see that in competition.

Q: There were big changes on the staff and big changes in style of play. What was your role in that?

A: I didn’t come in and mandate anything. I don’t think that’s the way you should lead. You work with the people you oversee. He had some real thoughts about what he wanted to do. I also had some thoughts because I’ve been around the game for many years. We agreed that critical changes needed to be made. ... The thing I really appreciate about Willie is his ability to listen and learn. He’d be the first to say this has been a hard row for him. I think we are now going to see the fruits of his labor. That’s my expectation.

Q: There are rumors about more conference realignment, including some that have USF in the mix for a spot in the Big 12. Are we looking at more change?

A: My position has always been, no matter what’s going on nationally, I care first about USF. I care about us being great in everything we do. If change comes, I want to have us ready for it. That comes with creating championship programs, championship coaches and championship student-athletes.

Q: It seems like USF fans are panicked about being left behind after the old Big East Conference fell apart. Do you hear that?

A: I think they’re getting to know the American Conference. We’re beginning a championship game. We’re bringing in Navy. I think our fans need to get excited about what we have now. The best thing we can all do is join in and win everything we do in this conference. I have a lot of friends in the Big 12, but I do not believe anything is imminent.

Q: When can USF fans expect an on-campus football stadium?

A: There are no plans to unveil, no specific direction for a potential on-campus stadium. But we continue to study it.

Q: How do you get more fans in the stands?

A: The key focus is working with the football program and making sure we’ve got a team everyone is proud of and wants to go see. That’s first and foremost. We think we will have a great fan-friendly game-day environment. We have sold more new season tickets this year than we did all of last year. That being said, our renewal rate is right around 70 percent, so we have to make up for those folks who decided they maybe wanted to take a break from it. We hope those people will come back as they see what we’re trying to do. Where I’ve been, you shoot for that 80 to 85 percent renewal rate. Get below that and you have some work to do. I think we’ll give the fans a great product. That’s the first priority.

Q: How did the program go from a No. 2 national ranking and solid attendance in 2007 to where it is now?

A: I wasn’t here, so it would be unreasonable for me to speculate. But I can tell you the nature of college football has its ups and downs. Any program, outside of a handful, has had dips. I like to look at how fast this program (entering its 19th season) has come up in such a short time, how many bowl games it has been to, how many great moments it has had. Look, we know we can do it. The great challenge, the thing that energizes me every day, is the opportunity we have to do that again. But make no mistake. We want to create the great program, not just the great season or the great game.

Q: What have you learned about USF since you took this job in March 2014?

A: Nothing has surprised me. I’m even more energized today than six months ago because I have seen what we can be. It doesn’t mean the task is easy. But there’s a certain greatness here that I can feel. It’s there. It’s our job to wake it up. This place can be really, really special. I’m honored to be here and excited about what’s coming. This is a great community and it deserves excellence in college sports.

jjohnston@tampatrib.com

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I read the article this morning.

Really have to take everything the media prints, posts, or talks about at face value.

Much of this sounds good but I know a few people will question how the reported didn't ask "tougher" questions to Harlan.

My take on this is very simple:

Harlan, CWT, and the entire institution realize that we need to start winning and we need to start NOW. The past is the past and we need to stand up right now and make a statement that we can compete and put a good product on the field.

I mean let's look at the flip side.

Can we actually afford to fire a third coach and pay what we owe to the others as well as this new athlete stipend?

I don't think that it's sustainable in the long term due to our current financial obligations to former personnel. With that being said, I think CWT gets a couple years to make this team an 8+ win team.

Will it happen, only the future will show.....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I thought JJ asked most of the questions that most rational people would have liked asked ... Not sure what "tougher" questions could have been presented, outside of just trying to be a ****.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I'm rooting for Taggart.  A seven win season locks us in for likely our best recruiting class in school history with the guys who are sitting to "wait and see."  So far we are the top choice for a few four star guys who haven't pulled the trigger.  I want to win because I want that talent... I want to see the recruiting success translate to the field.  I think it will this season.  That will make Harlan "beam"!  

Edited by Calibull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Maybe now the clowns on this board will realize that Harlan is not making hires for Taggs staff. lol

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Best news of all is that they are continuing to study to get the OCS.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I thought JJ asked most of the questions that most rational people would have liked asked ... Not sure what "tougher" questions could have been presented, outside of just trying to be a ****.

Thats' what I meant by "tougher." He did a great job and I still think fans will always want to ask those **** questions.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I'm rooting for Taggart.  A seven win season locks us in for likely our best recruiting class in school history with the guys who are sitting to "wait and see."  So far we are the top choice for a few four star guys who haven't pulled the trigger.  I want to win because I want that talent... I want to see the recruiting success translate to the field.  I think it will this season.  That will make Harlan "beam"!  

We all want to win. Tags is our guy now. I hope he turns things around. If he doesn't we have to start over again. I really do not want to start over again, but don't see how you can keep Taggs unless he wins at least 6 games.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

Maybe now the clowns on this board will realize that Harlan is not making hires for Taggs staff. lol

but they did talk :D

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

This was a tough question:

Q: How did the program go from a No. 2 national ranking and solid attendance in 2007 to where it is now?

A: I wasn’t here, so it would be unreasonable for me to speculate. But I can tell you the nature of college football has its ups and downs. Any program, outside of a handful, has had dips. I like to look at how fast this program (entering its 19th season) has come up in such a short time, how many bowl games it has been to, how many great moments it has had. Look, we know we can do it. The great challenge, the thing that energizes me every day, is the opportunity we have to do that again. But make no mistake. We want to create the great program, not just the great season or the great game.

Nearly impossible for him to answer, but he loses points with me on the old nature of the game, ups and downs. Nonsense - it was a manmade disaster. Unfortunately, he can't say that.