• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Enough about offense(for now), let's talk defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

All joking aside, I think to some people the roster is just a bunch of names.  They don't actually know anything at all about the individual players.  Even the ones who played last season, just not as much.  I'd guess some didn't know Eric Lee started last season...  Or that James Hamilton started more games and played more than Senat.  It's weird, just based on some comments I don't think some actually know the team.  They know the games they saw last year... and a few of last years names... but nobody else.  Like Mazzi... I'm sure people are wondering why he moved up so quickly... or that he's actually the best cover guy on the team.  Just little things.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Why would anyone outside of the team know that Mazzi is the best cover guy when nobody has seen him play a down?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

Not to be a **** but... does anyone actually know the defensive roster... or the roster at all?  The complete roster... Like the guys who redshirted and those who did see time?  Because sometimes... just based on some of the responses... I don't believe a few people do.  Like if I say Juan Brown... what comes to mind?  What if I asked who is Benji Knox or how a player with the last name Antione?  I mean I'm just trying to get a feed on how well some people actually know the team.  I know the guys from the the TOS and recruiting boards do... well sometimes... but here... here I just wonder about a couple of people.  What are they basing their opinion on.

How does naming a young offensive lineman or any random player gauge someone's knowledge of the team? Just because you can name a freshman or redshirt freshman off the top of your head, it does not make you more knowledgable. Also, you named some guys that either haven't played for us at all or they redshirted. How can you gauge any impact they may have better than anyone else? And if you want to get all uppity about your team knowledge then you should at least spell a players name right. Its JUWUAN Brown. The only person named JUAN Brown to play for USF http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=216449

Edited by NinjaPenguin777
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I'm looking for a few choice guys to have a good season:

Josh Black

Eric Lee

Nigel Harris

Jamie Byrd

Lamar Robbins

Tajee Fullwood

One guy I'm hoping we get to see some of in action this year is Jimmy Bayes. Seemed to have a lot of promise coming in last year and I thought for sure he'd see the field as a true freshman, but hopefully we get to some of him this year.

Josh Black

Eric Lee

Nigel Harris

Jamie Byrd

Lamar Robbins

Tajee Fullwood

One guy I'm hoping we get to see some of in action this year is Jimmy Bayes. Seemed to have a lot of promise coming in last year and I thought for sure he'd see the field as a true freshman, but hopefully we get to some of him this year.

He was way too skinny to play LB last year. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

Josh Black

Eric Lee

Nigel Harris

Jamie Byrd

Lamar Robbins

Tajee Fullwood

He was way too skinny to play LB last year. 

I don't know what his actual weight was but his roster weight as of July 30 last year was listed as 225 per Joey Knight's roster post, which is where Nigel Harris played at. I thought he might see some time on the field with the added weight, but perhaps they didn't feel the need to rush him with Cliett, Harris, Sanchez, Whitehurst and others ready to go.

I do hope we see some of him this year though.

Edited by GoBulls84

I thought that was the main reason they kept him out. I'm sure lack of playing time was part of it as well. He played offense and defense in high school did he not? Also multiple positions on defense?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

Jimmy Bayes looked good in practice. Just not as good as Nigel Harris. He will make a breakthrough eventually.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

http://www.thebullspen.com/topic/99484-new-defense-under-allen/page-1#entry1

While I have been focusing on the O lately, I feel I should post this great thread regarding our D, with excellent contributions from Dozer and bullrider :-)

I think its a good primer for those who recently started posting and interested in some nuts and bolts of our new D and players.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Excited about Tom Allen as the DC, the guy brings a energy on defense we haven't had in many years maybe since Wally.