• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why dont we run the TRIPLE OPTION?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

If we're going to argue the lineman stuff, we have the guys to run it.

We didn't recruit Knox, Gibbons (i'll say it since we did get him eventually), Bethel, Ruff, Galati, Hall, gudmundsson, and Jozwiak for no reason. They were brought here to run a power run game.

Of our 2-deep, Hall, Jozwiak, Ruff, and Dominique Threatt are all over 300. The rest are in the 280s. It can be done, though our OTs are a bit undersized. 

The title of the thread is 'Why don't we run the triple option?', I'm just trying to point out why it's easier said than done.  Our current starting right tackle is a former walk-on converted from the D-line lol.

If we're going to argue the lineman stuff, we have the guys to run it.

We didn't recruit Knox, Gibbons (i'll say it since we did get him eventually), Bethel, Ruff, Galati, Hall, gudmundsson, and Jozwiak for no reason. They were brought here to run a power run game.

Of our 2-deep, Hall, Jozwiak, Ruff, and Dominique Threatt are all over 300. The rest are in the 280s. It can be done, though our OTs are a bit undersized. 

Absolutely I agree 100% we have the guys to run it. Weve been recruiting for a power run system so while we may not have the absolute top lineman we have decent enough lineman to create a push between Bethel, Gibbons, Thor, and the other guys. 

The whole "we have a starting D Lineman walkon" as our starter is crap, that oline hasnt been updated since spring where Thor was out, and we didnt have Gibbons or Bethel.....

Guys Im not talking about creating an all world offense Im talking about using the players that we have WHICH WE DO, in the most effective way. Between Flowers, Mack, Johnson, Tice, Swanson, and a few of these solid lineman we got, and this up paced no huddle offense were implementing if we ran the triple option I think we could see some success tiring out defenses and keeping them on the field not allowing them to adjust personnel. Big defensive front guys get tired quick, and if they get tired, there goes the line.

I think the point most are trying to make is that we start football next Thursday and changing to a triple option philosophy now is an impossibility ... for a myriad of reasons.

Preach  :GoBulls:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I wouldn't complain

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Honestly we have an extremely athletic qb in Flowers, an extremely athletic set of rbs (Mack and D'Ernest), 

A year and a half ago when GEOGIA SOUTHERN beat Florida they didnt complete ONE PASS (WHICH IS WHAT OUR OFFENSE LOOKS LIKE) but they beat Florida 26-20. I feel if we implemented some of their offense we could at least put points on the board right away. 

What do you think? Sounds practical and like it could work here and work well

I believe there is actually a package that contains the triple option in this offense.  I remember someone mentioning it.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I'm very glad we don't run the triple option. It's entertaining to watch in spurts, but watching that all game every game would be tough for me. I enjoy the passing aspect of football way too much. Not to mention, you narrow the recruits you can get. Your QB recruits that would be interested would go from already slim to almost non existent. 

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

I hope we run a lot of Read Option.

It was very effective for us with Daniels and grothe running it 10-12 times per game. I hope Flowers runs it 20+ times per game this year.

Yes, it was working great at UF. Still don't understand why the coaches abandoned it completely in the 2nd half ...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Didn't BJ throw a pick six at the end of the half?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Brutal pick 6, to a d lineman I think

Brutal pick 6, to a d lineman I think

Brutal is the only way I can describe that.  Talk about a gut dropping moment. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

And that game also really exposed the lack of depth. One of the hottest games I've ever been to and people were dropping like files.

And that game also really exposed the lack of depth. One of the hottest games I've ever been to and people were dropping like files.

Also, was that was the year when Skip said he didn't want "BJ running as much as he had been in the past?  I never understood that.