• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will we be better this year? A random fans break down

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

I have decided to go position by position to try and predict this years improvement OR drop in play. Each position will be labeled 'much worse', 'worse', 'even', 'better', or 'much better'

Quarterback (Worse) - I don't know about you guys, but I liked Mike White. It think with a competent coordinator, he has a much higher ceiling than Flowers OR Bench. He is a true passer, while the other guys don't seem to know how to read defenses.

Running Backs (Better) - I usually don't get suckered into the whole 'its a year later, so that should mean drastic improvement' trap, but in this case, its hard not to. Marlon Mack, Kennard Swanson, and D'Ernest Johnson were all 3 freshman starters. If Swanson can hold onto the ball, and Mack puts on 10 pounds of muscle without slowing down like he is planning on, this is going to be a scary group.

Receivers / Tight ends (Worse) - I was tempted to label this group as better just due to the departure of Deonte Welsh. I kid... But I think the added depth in AJ Legree and some of the young guys somewhat helps makes up for the loss of the true #1 that we will be losing in Andre Davis, who by the way was missing for a chunk for the year anyway. Losing Mike McFarland will be huge too. Was close to labeling even.

Offensive line (Much better) - There really isn't much explaining to do here when just about every spot on the line looks like an improvement outside of Center. Am I crazy for thinking this could be the best group we have had in 5 years?

Defensive line (Even) - You hate to lose a work out warrior like Todd Chandler who had a lot of recruiting hype, and was thought to be a clog in the middle of the line, but he honestly seemed invisible at times. I think Deadrin Senet will fill his void and more with time. Derrick Calloway, and the rest of the depth should fill in nicely. But I don't know that we have a great third option besides these two.

Linebackers (Better) - Tashon Whitehurst was never one of my favorite players on USF as he is slightly small for the position and always seemed to get pushed around, but he had a stand out spring, and should be a great back up. Sanchez played phenomenal for a true freshman and should only get better. And Nigel Harris will make us forget we ever had an NFL draft pick at linebacker.

Defensive Backs (Better) - I love Jamie Byrd. And I liked the athleticism Chris Dunkley brought to the secondary last year, but you could tell he was not a natural corner with his footwork. Everybody else returns, so I think this will be an improved area.

Return game (Worse) - This is where Dunkley will be missed. I think D'Ernest Johnson is serviceable and like his ability to be versatile, but maybe someone like Rodney Adams can give it a shot.

Kicker (Worse) - Hopefully Nadelman can be the next Marvin Kloss. But I won't hold my breath on it.

Punter (Even) - There is no way he plays better than he did last year. Not a chance.

Edited by CaliforniaBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

I stand by my prediction of going 5-7 this year and the break down reaffirms my prediction. While the team may be slightly better, we can't win without a quarterback. Lets give Taggart 2 more years (cringe) so we can wait for Woulard

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks for that very thoughtful post. 

I'm hoping we can't get worse at QB and I'm also assuming our RBs, partially thanks to improved OL, will  be much better.

Defense overall, much better with new coordinator.

Even receivers, I thought we were pretty poor with Davis as the 'go to'.  We have to  be better.  And  we still have Price at TE and need to use him.

I'm not going to venture beyond your 5-7 line, but I am hoping we are both surprised.

• Topic Count:  2,336
  • Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

I think you see a remarkable improvement at QB.   First, with Mike White you were never sure which one would show up.  Tulsa he was on fire but in other games he would literally disappear.   With Bench and Flowers you get some true gamers.   I really thought Bench was going to pull off the win versus Maryland.   I believe with our team now depending upon our athleticsim you are going to see a different product on the field and that will be good and bad.  Like the old CJL days.

Fingers crossed

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

Great insight, thanks for the read.

My thought is that with an improved OL, the QB will improve as well due to protection alone. Now in no way do I expect superstar level QB play but it should be serviceable.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think we will be much improved this season all the youngsters in the two deep have another year of game experience and another year to get bigger, stronger, and faster.  I think we will be competitive in every game except for FSU.  However, I just can't think we will be better than 5-7 without actually seeing major improvement at the QB position.  If we can get at least average QB play I think we definitely go bowling but I have to see it to believe it.   

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Problem is, we can be dramatically better at QB and still not be average.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think Taggart has almost assured himself a 4th year with the Woulard transfer.  He obviously has to win at least 4 games again, but if any of those are big wins like UCF or FSU, he'll get a 4th year.

I still believe this year cannot be considered a success if we don't win at least 6 games, but I realize less likely situations may make it a success (i.e. Flowers gets a stranglehold on QB position, FSU  and/or UCF wins)

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

IMO this team will be good enough to go 6-6 or 4-8. And IMO it wont come down to talent, skill, or any of that. (not even coaching) Its going to come down to leadership in the lockerroom, and heart. If we have true leaders step up that are hungry to win and are hungry to be great and are tired of losing, that attitude can be infectious. 

THIS is what we had in the Leavitt years. That underdog shock the world, we dont care what anyone says we are we know who we are mentality. Our team DARED to be GREAT.

That will be the determining factor. LEADERS. Hopefully we have some in the lockerroom

Edited by BULLZ

CB -- There are two things I think you're missing in your otherwise great analysis.

1 - If this is the best OL we've had in five years (and I think you're right), then a lot of the issues we had last year will be subdued considerably.  There should be more time for the QB to find a receiver... there should be more holes for the RBs to get positive yardage.   Last year, despite what looked like clear problems with the QB play, most of the issues were caused by an OL that had too much trouble.

Offenses live and die with the OL.  The skill positions get all the hype, but when you have an OL that can block, that makes the skill jobs so much easier.

2 - The new 'spread' approach.  Mike White was a good pocket passer -- but he could not run to save his life.  When the pocket collapsed (as it did so many many times) he had to rush throws.  Flowers and Bench were put into the same "stay in the pocket" offense, and failed.  This year, they will not be dropping back - but starting plays from the shotgun.  That gives more time to read a defense ... with an improved running game, that means play-action passes or read-option plays will have more of an effect.

Flowers has the ability to make plays with his legs that White could never make.  That should make the QB position at the very least a "push" from last year.

• Upvote 1