• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Thank you for supporting the Bulls".. "Umm.. OK..??.."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

I just got that painful call that they make the student athletes do:

Bull:  "Hi this is ....... from the USF Women's soccer team, is this Mr. shibumi??"

Me:  (working.. thinking this is Alumni or another donation call) yes it is..

Bull:  Oh.. OK..  Um..  well I was just calling to say thank you for your support as a Bull's Club donor and a season ticket holder..

Me:  (waiting for the plug) ...   ...   ....   ...   Umm..  OK..  ??

Bull:  Umm.. OK..  I'm sorry..  I don't know if I've reached you at a bad time or  ??

Now I realize that it is THAT call - the awkward one where they are just calling to thank you - and I'm feeling like an ass for being so curt..    :facepalm:

Me:  Oh - sure.. yeah.. sorry..  I thought this was the alumni association or a call asking for another donation   lel :loser:

Bull:  No No!  Just calling to say thank you!

So now I really feel bad that they are stuck making these calls..  Figure, hey - try to make some small talk - only I know nothing about Women's soccer - other than the recent World Cup win  e_e

Me:  Oh well thank you!  Good luck on your upcoming season!!  Wait - when does your season start??

Bull:  We start August 5th

Realizing that my small talk is even worse than my curtness   :facepalm:

Me:  Oh wow!  Yeah - we'd like to get out to see more sports, but we're way on the other side of the bay, so football is about the only thing we really do (like she really cares - as I minimize her sport..  omg get me outta here)..    Well Good luck, man  (yeah.. i through a "man" in there)  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Bull:  OK thanks

Me:  OK bye

UGH!!!!   

To any student athletes that have to make these awkward calls you have my sincere condolences!!  Hopefully you end up getting to leave a bunch of voicemails - or you reach people much more receptive than I typically am to random calls..   :D

Oh well - Go Bulls!!!   :GoBulls:

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

LOL 

I nominate this thread for the HOF.  This is right up there with Meet the Parents-type awkwardness.  :D

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Funny stuff right there.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Great laugh. We've all been there to some extent before.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I just got that painful call that they make the student athletes do:

Bull:  "Hi this is ....... from the USF Women's soccer team, is this Mr. shibumi??"

Me:  (working.. thinking this is Alumni or another donation call) yes it is..

Bull:  Oh.. OK..  Um..  well I was just calling to say thank you for your support as a Bull's Club donor and a season ticket holder..

Me:  (waiting for the plug) ...   ...   ....   ...   Umm..  OK..  ??

Bull:  Umm.. OK..  I'm sorry..  I don't know if I've reached you at a bad time or  ??

Now I realize that it is THAT call - the awkward one where they are just calling to thank you - and I'm feeling like an ass for being so curt..    :facepalm:

Me:  Oh - sure.. yeah.. sorry..  I thought this was the alumni association or a call asking for another donation   lel :loser:

Bull:  No No!  Just calling to say thank you!

So now I really feel bad that they are stuck making these calls..  Figure, hey - try to make some small talk - only I know nothing about Women's soccer - other than the recent World Cup win  e_e

Me:  Oh well thank you!  Good luck on your upcoming season!!  Wait - when does your season start??

Bull:  We start August 5th

Realizing that my small talk is even worse than my curtness   :facepalm:

Me:  Oh wow!  Yeah - we'd like to get out to see more sports, but we're way on the other side of the bay, so football is about the only thing we really do (like she really cares - as I minimize her sport..  omg get me outta here)..    Well Good luck, man  (yeah.. i through a "man" in there)  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Bull:  OK thanks

Me:  OK bye

UGH!!!!   

To any student athletes that have to make these awkward calls you have my sincere condolences!!  Hopefully you end up getting to leave a bunch of voicemails - or you reach people much more receptive than I typically am to random calls..   :D

Oh well - Go Bulls!!!   :GoBulls:

I heard she broke down crying after that call and ran out of the building .........

j/k

I've had calls from the football and basketball teams but never from any other sport. I think it's great ..... but hopefully they do prepare them for all kinds of reactions, especially the mistaken for calling wanting money ones.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Must be you! My call with Steven Bench went great and we are bros now. Going to grab a beer w him soon lol.

Jk but he is a classy kid and I enjoyed the call.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

I got one from the track team... She seemed like a nice kid.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Amazing!  I'm cracking up at my desk with that one.

I've gotten a call from some of the basketball team over the years, which was pretty cool (One was Stan Heath!).  That said, unless you're a women's soccer season ticket holder, they should limit the people making the calls to the football and basketball players/coaches.

I appreciate the idea, but making the women's soccer teams make these calls is silly.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Amazing!  I'm cracking up at my desk with that one.

I've gotten a call from some of the basketball team over the years, which was pretty cool (One was Stan Heath!).  That said, unless you're a women's soccer season ticket holder, they should limit the people making the calls to the football and basketball players/coaches.

I appreciate the idea, but making the women's soccer teams make these calls is silly.

I think in part they are thanking donors, and the donations benefit all teams. 

So, that is the logic behind all sports being involved. Its not like a women's soccer player is calling just to thank someone for buying football tickets. 

I would think if they call ticket holders who aren't donors, they would match the sport. 

That is just my thought, I could be wrong.