• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is the USF beat writer . . .

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Bianchi (Spring game story) > Knight. And I don't really care, because I don't spend much time reading either.  But Bianchi takes the prize for his reporting on the mythical nashunal champyins' Spring game and web of fantasy induced lies.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

On 4/22/2018 at 12:15 AM, Brad said:

Bianchi (Spring game story) > Knight. And I don't really care, because I don't spend much time reading either.  But Bianchi takes the prize for his reporting on the mythical nashunal champyins' Spring game and web of fantasy induced lies.

We've gone over this ad nauseum .... Bianchi is the lead sports columnist in a city with 1 1/2 major sports teams (with the top one sucking for a good while) and will do anything he can to promote the local college football program in hopes of getting it to the next level.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

53 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We've gone over this ad nauseum .... Bianchi is the lead sports columnist in a city with 1 1/2 major sports teams (with the top one sucking for a good while) and will do anything he can to promote the local college football program in hopes of getting it to the next level.

How dare you call the Orlando Magic half a major sports team ...... 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

How dare you call the Orlando Magic half a major sports team ...... 

So important it had to be said three times 😂

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So important it had to be said three times 😂

I swear I hit it once.  Brad, I think we have a defect .... 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

On 4/16/2018 at 3:33 PM, BullyPulpit said:

There were obviously other factors (Lightning game, Rowdies game, etc.) that would hurt attendance, but it is somewhat disappointing that we haven't seen much improvement concerning the excitement surrounding this program after the last 2.5 seasons we have had. This is a team that is 28-6 over its last 34 games (would have been 29-6 had the UMASS game not been cancelled), has a big name head coach, and plays in one of the nicest venues that hosts college football in America. We just don't play enough "big name" schools on an annual basis to boost our attendance. Back in the Big East days we would average 40,000 a game. Add to that the general apathy of most Millennials and the quality and abundance of TV options, and the problems is amplified even more. Sprinkle in the overall apathy/bandwagon/front running that exists in the Tampa Bay region as a whole, and it is very problematic for the future of our programs. 

The problem isn't unique to just USF football, attendance is down across almost all sports. MLB has seen an average drop of 2,700 per game so far this season. That represents a 10% drop in just one year. Part of that might be weather related, but it is also a troubling harbinger of things to come. We need to find a path into a major conference or we are going to be treading water over the next decade, and a major conference invite doesn't seem forthcoming. 

This is the problem.  We play in a conference that has ZERO shot at a national championship.  Every team in the P5 begins the season with the "chance" that this could be their season.  Win the games in front of you and you go to the playoffs.  We're not part of that group.  We dont play the teams in that group.  We've proven that when we are in that group we can draw the fans and be competitive.  If we cant get into the P5 somehow we will never fix the attendance problems or grow the fan base.  The money difference is going to continue to expand.  We have to do everything imaginable to get that golden ticket, including committing to build a 60k seat OCS.  We need to file antitrust, collusion, and what ever other lawsuits we can against the P5 and NCAA.  This is do... or slowly die time.

I know there are people on here who will say we are doing things behind the scenes, or doing all that we can.  I don't know if that's good enough or even accurate.  If the B12 doesn't want to share the pie with those that dont add value, then offer a proposal where they don't share the pie.  Just get in.  Offer something like 10 years before we become a full member.  Make it contingent on us winning the B12 Championship game.  Make it where we have to average 50k per game.  ANYTHING to prove our value. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

This is the problem.  We play in a conference that has ZERO shot at a national championship.  Every team in the P5 begins the season with the "chance" that this could be their season.  Win the games in front of you and you go to the playoffs.  We're not part of that group.  We dont play the teams in that group.  We've proven that when we are in that group we can draw the fans and be competitive.  If we cant get into the P5 somehow we will never fix the attendance problems or grow the fan base.  The money difference is going to continue to expand.  We have to do everything imaginable to get that golden ticket, including committing to build a 60k seat OCS.  We need to file antitrust, collusion, and what ever other lawsuits we can against the P5 and NCAA.  This is do... or slowly die time.

I know there are people on here who will say we are doing things behind the scenes, or doing all that we can.  I don't know if that's good enough or even accurate.  If the B12 doesn't want to share the pie with those that dont add value, then offer a proposal where they don't share the pie.  Just get in.  Offer something like 10 years before we become a full member.  Make it contingent on us winning the B12 Championship game.  Make it where we have to average 50k per game.  ANYTHING to prove our value. 

As soon as your conference is the one suing the P5 you have just ended your chance of getting in unless you win the law suite. Most don’t want to take that chance. Problem #2 with suing is that the P5 could simply say screw this and break away from the NCAA. 

I like the idea of taking a pay cut to get in. Hell I am for taking no cash other than expenses for 10 years to get in. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

As soon as your conference is the one suing the P5 you have just ended your chance of getting in unless you win the law suite. Most don’t want to take that chance. Problem #2 with suing is that the P5 could simply say screw this and break away from the NCAA. 

I like the idea of taking a pay cut to get in. Hell I am for taking no cash other than expenses for 10 years to get in. 

I'm not a fan of the nuclear lawsuit approach either, but it has to be on the table as an option if all else fails.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

I'm not a fan of the nuclear lawsuit approach either, but it has to be on the table as an option if all else fails.

USF:  “Now, we could fight 'em with conventional weapons. That could take years and cost millions of lives. Oh no. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.”

UCF: “We’re just the guys to do it”.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Edited by charsibb