• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Must be more to the story...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

Willie T was always a snake in the grass.  I'm glad he helped rebuild USF and thank him for that, but you could always tell he was a snake.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

9 minutes ago, slowdown said:

My guess would be Taggart built his relationships with the players he needed and had no concern with really knowing the coaches or the area besides what he needed.

Isn't Garcia kind of old school? Time was you couldn't get in contact with these recruits and you couldn't get a hold of film without going through the HS coaches.  That used to be the process. Strong is probably more traditional in that regard. 

My gut tells me this is the case.  The results speak for themselves.  LOTS of high schools in the Bay Area.  IMO, it shouldn't be about stroking the HS coaches' egos, it should be about the players.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

9 minutes ago, thatBULL said:

Willie T was always a snake in the grass.  I'm glad he helped rebuild USF and thank him for that, but you could always tell he was a snake.

Oh really?  Do tell.  

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

16 minutes ago, slowdown said:

My guess would be Taggart built his relationships with the players he needed and had no concern with really knowing the coaches or the area besides what he needed.

Isn't Garcia kind of old school? Time was you couldn't get in contact with these recruits and you couldn't get a hold of film without going through the HS coaches.  That used to be the process. Strong is probably more traditional in that regard. 

I mean he's been around so long he probably coached Jesus

That's a good point though. Maybe he let the assistants go out more than he did. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486

18 minutes ago, slowdown said:

Sounds about right.  I think the area high school coaches were used to dealing with recruiting and college coaches a certain way.  They probably went through the head coach first before contacting the player.  With social media, Willie probably tweeted to half these guys before the head coach even knew what was going on.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I think another telling note is the likes/retweets by other Tampa Bay high school coaches of both the original tweet 

and Craig Everhart's reply

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

In fairness to Garcia most of our success the last two years depended in Mack, flowers, Johnson, and Rodney Adams.  Aside from Mack, none of the players were directly recruited from high school by Taggart. And Mack's high school  head coach is a USF alumni. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

Well it looks like xcwt didn't know how to play the game. Having high school coaches on your side should be a priority. I know he could reach recruits on twitter, instagram etc...but having the backing of their high school coach goes a long way. With all the talent with 200 miles of USF there is no reason not to have a relationship with long term high school coaches. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  360

Whatever XCWT did.... it worked. I dont think any of us can deny that. But it definitely doesnt hurt to have the local high school coaches on your side with all the in-state talent we have. Taggs is gone, Strong is in. Im excited for the future!

• Upvote 2