• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Article: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

If they expand to an 8 team playoff, revenue would increase, give the 5 - P5 champs a seed, 2 at large and the highest ranked G5 team which would be Western Michigan this season I think most would stop complaining.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Well every conference would be represented, and the networks would get an additional 2 playoff games to sell to advertisers. I think everybody wins.

Unless it grows to 8 teams, you'll likely just see P5 Conference champs plus the "best remaining team." (We were talking about a 6 team playoff above.)

Edited by NAM37
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

26 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Expand to 6 team playoff... take each P5 conference champion and the highest ranked G5 team. Top 2 seeds get a round 1 bye. That is what I would like to see. 

I like making conference championships a requisite for playoff entry, but there'd be way too much heartburn if there aren't at least a couple at-large spots. People would point to Ohio State this year or some hypothetical fluke where Bama goes 12-0 and loses the SEC champ game. You or I may place value on championships, but we're seeing this year that the powers-that-be don't necessarily agree.

If it went to 6 with the 5 P5 champs, you could pretty much guarantee the 6th spot would not be held for a G5. I think you have to go to 8 to have a reasonable chance of getting a guaranteed slot for the G5.

I really like the 8-team model, with 5 P5 champs, highest G5 champ, and 2 at-large. It makes winning a conference championship a priority, it gives the G5 access, and it allows for 2 great teams who maybe blew a game to still get in. Best of all, it (almost) guarantees that an undefeated season by any team will give them a shot.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318

Everyone on here is arguing for a G5 inclusion because of USF status. ESPN doesnt give a **** about the G5 except to fill Tuesday and Wednesday time slots in October.

The highest ranked G5 team this season finished between 12-24th depending on which computer you use. Go look at the Bama, or tOSU, or heck even South Carolina message boards and see how many of their fans think WMU should be in the playoffs.

The only way G5 is included is if there is a clause, similar to the BCS days, where the G5 team would have to win its conference AND be ranked higher than other wild cards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Capital H said:

Everyone on here is arguing for a G5 inclusion because of USF status. ESPN doesnt give a **** about the G5 except to fill Tuesday and Wednesday time slots in October.

The highest ranked G5 team this season finished between 12-24th depending on which computer you use. Go look at the Bama, or tOSU, or heck even South Carolina message boards and see how many of their fans think WMU should be in the playoffs.

The only way G5 is included is if there is a clause, similar to the BCS days, where the G5 team would have to win its conference AND be ranked higher than other wild cards.

Sure, most of us have green-and-gold bias.  But the system that's in place makes it all but impossible for a full half of the teams to ever get a shot at a national championship. That's crap. At the very least, there should be a clause that an undefeated G5 gets a seat.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

2 minutes ago, RaisingFenix said:

Sure, most of us have green-and-gold bias.  But the system that's in place makes it all but impossible for a full half of the teams to ever get a shot at a national championship. That's crap. At the very least, there should be a clause that an undefeated G5 gets a seat.

Of course it's crap, but it's crap that helps the established elites. So it's crap that is likely going to stay. This is a decision that will be made by those that the "crap" helps. Why would they unilaterally let others in on the money when they don't need to?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180

I'm not so sure that if Houston went undefeated this year that they would have been left out. They were ranked #5 early on in the season and beat Louisville. Now try obviously didn't win out but if they had I think they would have been in. I think they would have been a lock if we also went undefeated or at least beat Temple and they had beat us for another top 25 win. So saying it's impossible for us to make it isn't true. We need a strong OOC schedule, which we have in the future with Wisconsin and Texas in he future, and to win out.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

26 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Ok, the odds are one in ten million.  Better?

:facepalm:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The NCAA basketball tourney is so successful because (in part) the Cinderellas have a chance every year (that and hella gambling). 

Something similar has to be possible for CFB as well. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Just now, NCBull said:

:facepalm:

Seriously, there isn't a chance.  We've already seen that the ranking committee doesn't put much stock in teams that face G5 teams.  So, as a G5 team, how are you supposed to convince the committee that you have faced a difficult schedule?  It is almost impossible, in reality.  At least unless/until the playoffs are expanded to include more teams.

To believe otherwise is to be a dreamer.

• Upvote 1