• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Flower's Blossoming?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

So far, I'm hopeful for the defense but I'm not sure our O is a good litmus test for them. I'm definitely concerned about the O, mostly because of that line and its health/youth. QB is just gonna be a ? I'm with you guys hoping Flowers is maturing fast, but IIRC last year we had a couple of highs before the season started (Wilson/Flowers), but those reports faded by fall and the talk went back to White & Bench. I'd love to have that dual threat back, but I just want the one that can manage it best.

I will say, though, an up-tempo spread heavily favors the improv skills of Flowers, IMO.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/spring-football-flowers-the-front-runner/2221842

One thing I haven't enoyed about Joey's pieces is that he often has a pessimistic slant to his writing as the bulls beat writer. I believe he is buying into the new schemes this year though.

-

I agree. Even in the few positive pieces that he has been able to write, there always seems negativity in the titles, intros or some backhanded comments in the main body. I miss GA.

It's obvious he does not like his current gig, but it was a step up from writing about the local high schools so he took it. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Hopefully, QF's throwing has changed from the rainbows he threw in his game time experience.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/spring-football-flowers-the-front-runner/2221842

I should write for the times lol. Seems like Flowers is the front runner at the QB position, followed by Bench.

One thing I haven't enoyed about Joey's pieces is that he often has a pessimistic slant to his writing as the bulls beat writer. I believe he is buying into the new schemes this year though.

-

I don't think I would call it "pessimistic" ... I would call it "dubious" ... and that is the job of a reporter.  He is standing in for all of us... and we are all "dubious" at this point, right?

We WANT to believe things are turning around... but we've been burned by that too many times.

I think Greg Auman had the same "reflect the public" perspective... we were just a lot more optimistic when Greg was the beat reporter.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The second best part of Q winning the job (second after hopefully winning) will be the "blossoming" and "wilting" headlines.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Theyre starting to pick the teams between 3 and 5 today. The coaches can each pick 1 offensive and defensive player, who do you think will get taken and who would you take?

Could be a sign if Flowers is taken early, or at the very least give him some confidence.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Some people prefer the term realism to pessimism.

Everyone thinks they're the realist and others that don't share their view are pessimists/optimists, depending on their slant.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

In fairness, remember how amazing bench and white looked last year? They were lucky to be average against quality teams.

In the leavitt years, we looked bad to average in the spring, but when fall came, the team was ready to play.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

I'm really confident in this defense, as long as we can have at least an average scoring offense and get like 28 PPG (would have ranked 72nd nationally last year) we will probably win at least 7 or 8 games and go bowling. 

Flowers winning the job would be huge, as long as it means he stepped up and its not based off the fact everyone else was hot garbage.

It's nice to hear QF is progressing as a passer, his legs have never been the issue. If he's even serviceable throwing the ball, he's got to be ahead of White and Bench. I'm with you though, I want QF to win the job, not be declared the starter by default. Take this news for what it's worth, being the front-runner in March is even lower on the confidence meter lately than being named the starter in August.

FWIW...I think he's been showing he's more than serviceable thus far.  I don't think he's winning by default, he appears to be the better QB.   I had a chance to see him practice and play last season and I've been to a handful of practices this season and I can say this, he's not the same guy I saw practicing as a true freshman.  What I've noticed about him now is that he has a far better throwing motion than last season; he appears to see the field better than last season; he's far more confident and while he hasn't connected on a lot of deep balls consistently, he's showing that he has the arm to do it (the rest will come with timing it's just the spring); and he's leaned out some (he's down to 210 which looks comfortable for him).

Honestly I think everyone knows pretty much he's the best QB we have but as a coach you have to keep the other guys competing.  With White and Bench it appears they are as good as they are going to be, Flowers has honestly already passed both of them.  People forget that he was a true freshman last season.  We've suffered from that for a while since skipshitz never actually recruited a D1 QB.  But from my take, Flowers could be developing into the real deal.  Now I'm not anointing him "the one"... but I really think he can be really really good.  Timing on the deep throws will come but from what I have seen, he's clearly better than both Bench and White and more importantly, he's showing he's getting better.  I think 7-8 wins in this conference can be attainable if he continues to show the type of improvement he is.