• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I dont think he was bad at calling plays.  I thought the Wisconsin game was nice.  It was the inability of the players to do what he wanted them to do. Frankly it was not their gifting to be a power run game.  We are not going to have mammoth O line that he wants.  I think going back to a spread type offense will be just what we need. Even if he fails it gets us ready for the next coach. 

Are you serious? How many times did we run the ball on 3rd and 7-10? Countless times. Drove the field against Memphis at the beginning of the game, had 3rd and 7 inside the red zone. He ran a draw. Memphis averaged 34 points per game. FGs were not going to get the job done. I can only think of a handful of plays where I said wow that was a good play call. There are way too many times I can think of where I said  :wtf:  :facepalm: .

That's because people focus on things to support their feelings. How many times can you remember a play that was there but failed due to execution?

Because there certainly isn't a chance anyone would like at it objectively right? I can remember plenty where execution was the problem. However, that doesn't mean if half of the plays that were not executed, were, that any of those drives would've turned into points. Every single team in college football deals with some type of execution issues. Some more than others, but good play callers still find a way to give their team a chance to win the game by putting points on the board. Scheme/Play Calling/Execution all were a combination effort in making our offense trash. 

A good play caller finds a way to put points on the board. How many times has our offense been held to 10 points or less in the Taggart era. It's probably close to 40% of the games played, if not higher. 

Edited by USFbulls24

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

I dont think he was bad at calling plays.  I thought the Wisconsin game was nice.  It was the inability of the players to do what he wanted them to do. Frankly it was not their gifting to be a power run game.  We are not going to have mammoth O line that he wants.  I think going back to a spread type offense will be just what we need. Even if he fails it gets us ready for the next coach. 

Are you serious? How many times did we run the ball on 3rd and 7-10? Countless times. Drove the field against Memphis at the beginning of the game, had 3rd and 7 inside the red zone. He ran a draw. Memphis averaged 34 points per game. FGs were not going to get the job done. I can only think of a handful of plays where I said wow that was a good play call. There are way too many times I can think of where I said  :wtf:  :facepalm: .

That's because people focus on things to support their feelings. How many times can you remember a play that was there but failed due to execution?

Because there certainly isn't a chance anyone would like at it objectively right? I can remember plenty where execution was the problem. However, that doesn't mean if half of the plays that were not executed, were, that any of those drives would've turned into points. Every single team in college football deals with some type of execution issues. Some more than others, but good play callers still find a way to give their team a chance to win the game by putting points on the board. Scheme/Play Calling/Execution all were a combination effort in making our offense trash. 

A good play caller finds a way to put points on the board. How many times has our offense been held to 10 points or less in the Taggart era. It's probably close to 40% of the games played, if not higher. 

It's a rarity in this discussion, and neither you nor I would qualify .................. and play callers don't put points on the board, play makers do.

It's a rarity in this discussion, and neither you nor I would qualify .................. and play callers don't put points on the board, play makers do.

I don't see how you can draw that conclusion, but whatever. Like Mark Sanchez? Especially with the Jets. Wait I mean the Eagles. Wait what's the difference. Wait, oh yea. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

I don't see how you can draw that conclusion, but whatever. Like Mark Sanchez? Especially with the Jets. Wait I mean the Eagles. Wait what's the difference. Wait, oh yea. 

I draw that conclusion because in your initial assessment you didn't mention the execution of the plays not always being there. An unbiased assessment would have included that glaring fact .... and the difference with Sanchez is in Philly, he's making the plays, in NY he didn't.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

I draw that conclusion because in your initial assessment you didn't mention the execution of the plays not always being there. An unbiased assessment would have included that glaring fact .... and the difference with Sanchez is in Philly, he's making the plays, in NY he didn't.

Sanchez is a bum! Always was and always will be. 

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

In the spirit of John McKay, yes, the coaching has been offensive.

What do you think of the team's execution?

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,345
  • Days Won:  43

In the spirit of John McKay, yes, the coaching has been offensive.

What do you think of the team's execution?

I'm for it!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

As long as Harlan made it clear that taking 40 seconds and ultimately using a time out to call a play is not acceptable.

You're right. Probably has nothing to do with the fact that Chip Kelly is an offensive genius. It's because Mark Sanchez figured it out after being god awful in New York and sitting on the bench a little bit in another city. For crying out loud...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I remember it happening a lot.