• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New offense, New Defense: still 1 problem

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

All of the reports have said we would be. I would expect to be. I don't think Harlan would allow that news to be released without it being so.

When was this news released and where?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/taggart-renovated-offense-will-be-fun/2211308

Before embarking on a brief holiday break, USF coach Willie Taggart spent an hour Tuesday afternoon with three local reporters in his second-floor office in the Selmon Athletics Center. All the front-and-center issues -- from Taggart's newest hires to the offensive renovations to the pressure he faces entering Year Three -- were addressed. Here are the highlights.

So what's your overview on the makeup of the new staff? (Ole Miss linebackers coach Tom Allen is the new defensive coordinator, while former Purdue coach Danny Hope is co-offensive coordinator with quarterbacks coach David Reaves)

"Very excited about it. I think both (Allen and Hope) bring some energy, both of them are very enthusiastic. People feel that way around 'em, just their energy and passion for being a football coach. Both of them bring something different but good to our football team."

How did the co-offensive coordinator concept come about, and how does it work?

"One, you just look at our football team and we're trying to find ways to score points. ... I know we've been struggling running the football and that's something we felt like we could get better at. I know Coach Hope's a really good offensive line coach and good teacher. ... I thought David could run the pass game. I thought he did a good job of understanding the pass game, he had a good feel for the pass game and I thought we all could work together."

How did Tom Allen get on your radar?

"Being pretty good friends with (Ole Miss coach) Hugh Freeze from the Sun Belt (Conference) days. I got in touch with Hugh and...got a chance to bring Tom down here, and I'm very impressed with him. I got a chance to watch film and watch his linebackers play, and was impressed with those guys and how hard they play; they're disciplined. ... But more importantly, his passion and his love for the kids and understanding it's all about them. And he understands the bay area too, he's been here."

So he'll recruit the bay area?

"Yeah. Everybody's gonna recruit this area. All 10 coaches, and that's counting me, have a part in the bay area. We're gonna milk the bay area. Every part of the bay area, we're gonna milk it. Every single coach is gonna have a part of it."

Is your offense gonna change? Are we gonna see an overhaul, a different style?

"I think you'll see some things differently. I think you'll see more up-tempo and going faster. I think you'll see us spread out a little bit. You're gonna see a lot of different things about it, but not get too far away from what our guys understand and know what we do. I think a lot of it is

just formation. Everybody's running the same plays, it's coaching 'em up and doing it better, executing. I think that's one thing we want to be able to do offensively, is just execute, execute, execute. I know that's something that we struggled to do consistently, and I think a big part of that is simplifying some things and just letting 'em play so they can do it when things get tough (so) they can do it routinely."

So are you gonna have some spread looks, or is this gonna be a spread offense?

"We're gonna have a little bit of everything. It will be fun, I'll say that. It'll be fun and we're gonna put our kids in position to make plays, let 'em play football, let 'em go fast."

You have a run-game coordinator, a pass-game coordinator, a play-caller and a play clock. How will all that work on game day?

"I call the plays, simple. ... Again, I think there will be times where I'm gonna need a suggestion, then, 'Hey David, give me a pass play.' Or David might say, 'Coach, what do you think about this?' ... I'll call the plays and I'll get suggestions. ... We'll work really well together throughout the week to where we know exactly what we're gonna do as an offense."

Is (former Manatee High coach) Joe Kinnan gonna have a role in your program?

"Right now I'm trying to find a defensive backs coach, then I'm gonna work from there. ..."

Is he on the radar?

"Right now the only thing on the radar is DBs. If he can coach the DBs he can be on the radar."

After the last game, (athletic director) Mark Harlan said it was his job to do everything he could to help you get what you needed to build a winning program. What was your takeaway as you evaluated the season and looked ahead?

"First of all, I think we have ourselves one hell of an athletic director. He calls it like he sees it and is honest in what he sees and you can appreciate that. But he also wants to know what he can do to help. I will say he's done everything I've asked for and he's been very helpful. ... I think he's doing a great job. We talked about a lot of different things in where we can go and where we're at and where we need to go. I think we're all on the same page."

You're on your third offensive coordinator in three years, and second defensive coordinator in three years. Are you concerned from a stability standpoint of what some of these older guys have had to withstand here?

"No, I'm not. One thing I've learned, our guys know how to adjust. ... A big part of it is just having a big structure plan for them and making all of those guys accountable to working with that plan. Again, when everyone's bought all in, it will take care of itself. It's not rocket science."

Am I the only one that read that and didn't feel a whole lot better about our offense next year?

No.

Me either

Is there anything other than "I won't be calling plays" or "I quit" he can say at this point in time to make any of you feel better?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

OK, you guys are making me feel as old as I am.  I don't even see an icon for media other than My Media.  I have "link", "image", "code","twitter", "quote".

It's not an icon. You need to type in what charsibb posted:  

[media]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGoNeM3WzY

[/media]

Although not sure why just posting the link doesn't work for you.

it seems like it use to be so much easier

Want an even more complicated way?

Click on the 3rd icon of the first row ("Special BBCode")

On the small window that appears, click on the BBCode drop down box, and select "Media"

On what appears on the right side, type or paste the URL/Web Address of the YouTube video in the bottom larger box (titled "Media URL")

Then Click OK.

:thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Flowers still has to show he can throw the ball.  Without that, no offense is going to work very well.

Apopka just won the 8A state championship running the Wing-T.  We hired the wrong high school coach.

The Wing-T doesn't work very well in college.

Link?

Well, here's several opinions:  http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/why-do-no-college-teams-run-the-wing-t.205366097/

There's a reason no one runs it.

Except Auburn...

http://offensivebreakdown.blogspot.com/2011/01/auburn-run-game-buck-sweep.html

Okay, no one runs it on a regular basis

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

http://youtu.be/9AFf0ysgNiM

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

OK, you guys are making me feel as old as I am.  I don't even see an icon for media other than My Media.  I have "link", "image", "code","twitter", "quote".

[media]

[/media]

On the small window that appears, click on the BBCode drop down box, and select "Media"

On what appears on the right side, type or paste the URL/Web Address of the YouTube video in the bottom larger box (titled "Media URL")

Then Click OK.

Thanks Dogma!  I prefer this complicated way. :applause:

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

[media]

[/media]

Then Click OK.

Thanks Dogma!  I prefer this complicated way. :applause:

Ditto