• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rewatched last year's UCF game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Some thoughts

Far too many penalties throughout.

Run game was ineffective (83 yards 2.5 ypc)

White played decently but was still sub 50%. There were several deep passes where he badly missed open receivers.

We have shown improvement in these areas this year which is cause for optimism.

A couple other things

Hall burned us over and over on kickoff returns and was single-handedly responsible for 3 points based on 1 kick return into field goal range. Need to have a plan to contain him.

UCF gifted us 2 turnovers and we forced 3 others but only managed 10 points off of turnovers.

We left 6 points off the board and lost by 3. 4th and 2 within field goal range when we were up 6-3 early on and Taggart decided to go for it. Questionable call there as it wasn't 4th and inches or 4th and goal from the 2. Should have been an easy 3 points and getting the first down there doesn't guarantee a touchdown or even make a touchdown likely with our offense. Of course we failed to convert. Late in the game we had a chance to go up by 7 with a field goal, but the dreaded block below the waist penalty backed us up and made for a much harder 51 yard fg that was missed.

Reasons for optimism

The addition of Mack as a home run threat.

Davis appears to be back in form.

No Bortles or Storm Johnson and UCF's offense has taken a step back.

Defense should be hyped up and active and hopefully can force turnovers off the turnover prone Holman similar to last year.

White is marginally better with experience.

Team may be playing for Taggart's job. I think this is a much bigger game for us to have a good showing than UCF.

Is it weird to be feeling confident in a victory Friday?

I made a thread on here last year when Willie didn't kick the field goal on that 4 and 2 and most of these knuckleheads thought I was wrong.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

I think this one will be close Bulls. USF is slightly better on offense..slightly worse on Defense. UCF is moderately better on defense and moderately worse on offense. Rivalry games are so emotional they can be hard to predict. I see great talent at USF. If it executes UCF will be in trouble.

We (UCF) will waste alot of downs running the power rather than spread it out. At least when USF runs power sets there is the threat of tight end. We run off tackle every time...so predictable. UCF offense is bipolar and as always depends on QB play. We will not be able to run against the Bulls in my opinion. USF will shut that down. I will be pleasantly surprised if we can. UCF has won most games despite a horrible running game and ypc. Look to that early. USF is no SMU defense so I think we will have to win in the air.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

UCF is worse on offense?! I haven't watched any of their games but I find it hard to believe that there offense is any worse than ours.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,261

I think this one will be close Bulls. USF is slightly better on offense..

I stopped reading. Literally.

Lmao. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822

I think he was comparing it against last year's team respective to each team, rather that comparing us against each other.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  60

Ya I was comparing to last year..my bad.

USF is slightly better on offense..you guys looked pretty good against memphis. I can't believe memphis will likely win our conference...wtf

Edited by jdbash

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

UCF is worse on offense?! I haven't watched any of their games but I find it hard to believe that there offense is any worse than ours.

It was ranked almost as low as USF's till they put up points on Tulsa and SMU. The UCF offense despite the oline problems is more talented than USF's but as jdbash mentioned GOL refuses to give up on the power runs off tackle that just hasn't worked all season. It's averaged something pathetic like 2 ypc but GOL will usually stick with it too long till the offense is forced to spread it out and just let Holman sling it to a very talented WR group. Also UCF at home for whatever reason just plays on another level, they dropped 53 on SMU but I bet if that game was in Dallas it would have been a 24-10 type game...yes home field helps every team but with this UCF group it seems even more tilted

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

It was ranked almost as low as USF's till they put up points on Tulsa and SMU. The UCF offense despite the oline problems is more talented than USF's but as jdbash mentioned GOL refuses to give up on the power runs off tackle that just hasn't worked all season. It's averaged something pathetic like 2 ypc but GOL will usually stick with it too long till the offense is forced to spread it out and just let Holman sling it to a very talented WR group. Also UCF at home for whatever reason just plays on another level, they dropped 53 on SMU but I bet if that game was in Dallas it would have been a 24-10 type game...yes home field helps every team but with this UCF group it seems even more tilted

At least you guys can win a game at home that isn't in a deluge. 6-0 is impressive, would love to return to the era where USF home games are a good time and a good chance at a win.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

This game will be won just as much on the sidelines as on the field. Advantage to UCF there...

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

make-it-stop-o-s.gif