• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Likelihood of bringing Leavitt back?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

And when we bring him back and he fails we would go down in history are the stupidest athletic program in history. 

What a lot of you forget is JL didn't win us anything aside from mediocre midlevel bowl games. 

Well to be fair, that is the glory years compared to this.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

@ Daly...So we had three struggling athletic programs and she helped hire 3 new head coaches and replaced the AD. You can be mad at the state of things in football, but you can't say she's not taking action.

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The last thing a university president should be accountable for is failures in athletics.

If academics/research are succeeding then the university is succeeding. University athletics are a bonus, something nice to have but completely tangential to the purpose of a university. I'd even say a peculiar aberration of American society.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The last thing a university president should be accountable for is failures in athletics.

If academics/research are succeeding then the university is succeeding. University athletics are a bonus, something nice to have but completely tangential to the purpose of a university. I'd even say a peculiar aberration of American society.

Right...That's what Texas, UF, Alabama, etc all say when their programs bring in millions and millions of dollars, new donors, market penetration (in all facets), national recognition, and tons more. 

Very few programs turn a profit. Very few.

I'd rather be MIT than any of the above.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

And when we bring him back and he fails we would go down in history are the stupidest athletic program in history. 

What a lot of you forget is JL didn't win us anything aside from mediocre midlevel bowl games. 

I don't necessarily think he should be brought back here, but "the stupidest athletic program in history" if they did? Just comical. What Jim Leavitt did was put our program on the map. What Jim Leavitt did is UNPRECEDENTED. Took a program less than 15 years old to the #2 spot in the ranking. I don't care if it was only for a week. Beat teams like FSU, West Virginia, Auburn with the program being less than 15 years old. What the heck is the matter with some people when they talk about what Leavitt did here. If you fail to see how what he did here was incredibly impressive you're blind. 

Or can you name me another coach who took a program that young to accomplish what Leavitt did? Big time wins against big time ranked programs and oh yea, mediocre midlevel bowl games. Did we go to 5 straight bowl games or something? Sure doesn't look too bad to me right now.....

I don't necessarily think he should be brought back here, but "the stupidest athletic program in history" if they did? Just comical. What Jim Leavitt did was put our program on the map. What Jim Leavitt did is UNPRECEDENTED. Took a program less than 15 years old to the #2 spot in the ranking. I don't care if it was only for a week. Beat teams like FSU, West Virginia, Auburn with the program being less than 15 years old. What the heck is the matter with some people when they talk about what Leavitt did here. If you fail to see how what he did here was incredibly impressive you're blind. 

Or can you name me another coach who took a program that young to accomplish what Leavitt did? Big time wins against big time ranked programs and oh yea, mediocre midlevel bowl games. Did we go to 5 straight bowl games or something? Sure doesn't look too bad to me right now.....

I'm sorry, what "map" are we on? It's PATHETIC our fans hang on to a blip at the #2 ranking because it translated into nothing.

Yeah, 5 mediocre bowl games and a few nice wins against FSU (who sucked), Auburn, WVU, and some one else. Okay Uncle Rico, thanks for the walk down memory lane but if you are still holding onto three or four decent wins and a week at #2 from five years ago it's time to let go. 

Leavitt is the reason the program is where it is...His coaching failed us in all the times that mattered and excelled when it didn't. I would give up every huge win we have ever had for a conference championship. Had he "built" a real program we would have been picked up like every other "program" he competed against and would be in a good conference. HE is one the who got himself fired and ultimately lead to our demise. 

Yeah I miss all of those mid season collapses, irrelevant bowl games (which only existed for the sake of money) , and ZERO conference championships. Thanks Jim!

Even still, those years were AMAZING compared to this.

C4S_usf071508_30664a_8col.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah, those years were A LOT better than this. Great, Jim Leavitt managed to fill a small stadium in a HUGE city that is begging for a sports team to follow. 

Yeah.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Its not just the football programs status its all athletics......her power trip as the world leader of the big east, her and her little man ousting of leavitt, her rejecting the espn contract which led to espn taking aprt the big east....keep hiding your head 🙈🙈🙈

What about the university status?

Lol

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

CJL made a perennial bowl-game team, and if you can appreciate that, great. But if we wanted that CC, he needed to step aside. Since he took care of that decision for us, we should be grateful for his contributions to our growth, and keep moving on. We'll eventually find what we need, whether it's with CWT or someone else. Jim's time here was legendary and put us on the map, yes, but to me we have to keep eating crap until we find the right answer.

[edit]...and then celebrate our butts off!

Edited by raptorcj