• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Down 3 possessions, 1 WR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

USF's offensive playbook is pretty thin and for two reasons:

1. Taggart's belief is that if you execute properly than you cannot be stopped, so in his mind there is certainly no need to adjust, just a need to execute better

2. Taggart, even if it was in his DNA, cannot expand the playbook because he has a QB who is very limited athletically

This is your offense like it or not. USF's only hope of seeing and improved offense under CWT is to execute better, or to find a quarterback with a skill set so diverse that it will give Taggart pause to consider other play calling options than the pro-style set he runs today.

In other words get used to seeing 6-17 points scored per game.

If that is true, then what the heck is all this talk about how hard it is to learn the offense?

Good question. Pre-snap motion, maybe?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,545
  • Days Won:  423

1. Taggart's belief is that if you execute properly than you cannot be stopped, so in his mind there is certainly no need to adjust, just a need to execute better

2. Taggart, even if it was in his DNA, cannot expand the playbook because he has a QB who is very limited athletically

This is your offense like it or not. USF's only hope of seeing and improved offense under CWT is to execute better, or to find a quarterback with a skill set so diverse that it will give Taggart pause to consider other play calling options than the pro-style set he runs today.

If that is true, then what the heck is all this talk about how hard it is to learn the offense?

"If that is true" is a key component in CR's post ..... 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I believe the reason it is so complicated is because the offense is predicated on all the moving parts to get their reads correct.  The motion is SUPPOSED to put the players into the best matchups and then everyone is supposed to be reading and executing to take advantage of the matchups.  There is a lot of pre-snap reads, adjustments and blocking scheme adjustments and assignments.  I think that was one reason for so many delay of games and long winded play calls that resulted in so many rushed snaps last year.  Actually, Harbaugh's offense with the 49ers has a lot of those same penalties because it takes so long to get the plays called.

Execution is a whole other issue.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

We scored 10 points and gave up 27 in the first 54 minutes of the game.  It stands to reason we had a 17-0 run in us during the final 6, if only we had more receivers on the field...

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

The way the offense is designed, do you really need 3 receivers? 2 TE, Running Back and Fullback that can catch out of the backfield.

I had no issues with the playcalling on Saturday. I thought they did a pretty good job of trying to get the ball to the athletes in space. Wasn't bad playcalling for the most part.

I am not really sold on this offense. One problem I see is that the places it is being used still relies on a fairly mobile QB. Works pretty well in San Fran. They have a good, mobile. When it was successful at Stanford, Luck ran for almost 500 yards.

Whites lack of mobility limits what they can do

During certain situations in the game YES. Down 3 possessions in the 4th quarter do you really need 3+ WR on the field? YES. Again, my original post I said I'm not saying that means we would've come back and won, but you can't sit here and logically think that it wouldn't help our chances. I'm also not saying we needed 3 WR on the field at any other point in the game. I was strictly talking about the 4th quarter down by 17.

I had no issues with the play calling either. I thought the play calling was actually the best I've seen it since Taggart was hired here. Some creative plays, WR jet sweeps, good play action, etc. 

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

We scored 10 points and gave up 27 in the first 54 minutes of the game.  It stands to reason we had a 17-0 run in us during the final 6, if only we had more receivers on the field...

Because people in this thread claimed that?

You believe we have the same chance to score some points and attempt a comeback with 6 minutes left in the game with 1 WR on the field vs. 3+? Once again, as stated in the very first post on this thread, I DO NOT BELIEVE HAVING MORE WR'S ON THE FIELD FOR THE FINAL 6 MINUTES MEANS WE WOULD'VE WON THE GAME. It just means you're giving yourself some kind of chance to put up points quicker than normal.