• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Official Demise of USF's Relevance in CFB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

I had a huge debate with a coworker of mine (fellow USF grad as well) over the chance that USF will ever be relevant again in CFB:

I think the demise of the USF football program is this:

When USF joined CUSA from D1A indy: 2 steps forward - this was inevitable

When USF joined the BE from CUSA: 500 steps forward - we hit the jackpot (at the time) with this

When USF fired Leavitt and hired Holtz: 500 steps back - Still haunting us

When USF joined the AAC after the BE was dismantled: Another 500 steps back - By this time the BE had been non-stop criticized for being a weak conference that undeservedly rec'd a BCS spot; so to be relegated to a ***** ass CUSA-wannabe hurts more than words can explain

The chance of joining the Big12 is nothing more than a pipe dream. It will never happen.....no matter how hard USF and UCF push collectively.

We will be nothing but an irrelevant Directional School in the minds of your average CFB fans. It sucks, but it is the reality.

Overblown...

USF football is only 17 years old... year for year, we are much better than most programs in the country. period.

Financially, we are in a much better situation than many other programs

If we start showing success within the next few years, I am not worried. It all comes down to MONEY. If our new athletic admin makes that their focus - we will continue to be relevant.

Granted, I will backtrack on my initial post if the USF athletic admin does start shelling out cash. We all know money talks in CFB. My thing is.....i don't see that happening.

Also, I agree that we are in a MUCH better spot than any university's fb program as old as ours, but we were on the up, and now we have all but crashed.

As it stands:

USF:FSU as UL-Monroe:LSU

And, that couldn't have been said when we #2 in the nation. Just sayin.......

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,000
  • Days Won:  12

Sounds like OP has their mind made up. I'd love to chime in but the assessment is just flat wrong. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

I had a huge debate with a coworker of mine (fellow USF grad as well) over the chance that USF will ever be relevant again in CFB:

When USF joined the BE from CUSA: 500 steps forward - we hit the jackpot (at the time) with this

When USF joined the AAC after the BE was dismantled: Another 500 steps back - By this time the BE had been non-stop criticized for being a weak conference that undeservedly rec'd a BCS spot; so to be relegated to a ***** ass CUSA-wannabe hurts more than words can explain

Sorry for your pain but, as pointed out in another thread, there are only 20-30 programs that are really relevant in college football and we were never one of them. What's important is the relevancy of USF football to our fans and what's bothersome is that apparently other people's perception plays a big part of that to some of our fans.

We will be nothing but an irrelevant Directional School in the minds of your average CFB fans. It sucks, but it is the reality.

I understand this is a big deal to some on this board but personally, I really don't give a rat's ass what USF is in the mind of your average cfb fan.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  109

The chance of joining the Big12 is nothing more than a pipe dream. It will never happen.....no matter how hard USF and UCF push collectively.

Overblown...

USF football is only 17 years old... year for year, we are much better than most programs in the country. period.

Financially, we are in a much better situation than many other programs

If we start showing success within the next few years, I am not worried. It all comes down to MONEY. If our new athletic admin makes that their focus - we will continue to be relevant.

Granted, I will backtrack on my initial post if the USF athletic admin does start shelling out cash. We all know money talks in CFB. My thing is.....i don't see that happening.

Also, I agree that we are in a MUCH better spot than any university's fb program as old as ours, but we were on the up, and now we have all but crashed.

As it stands:

USF:FSU as UL-Monroe:LSU

And, that couldn't have been said when we #2 in the nation. Just sayin.......

Did UL-Monroe have the best non-P5 recruiting class this year? We have a lot of positive factors going for us with our school, market, and athletic program. We just need to start winning. Taggart and Antigua have us on the right track. Stop infecting the board with all this pessimism.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Did you take into account:

• Was it a street (did it have dedicated sidewalks) or a was it a foot trail
  • Elevation
  • Wind Resistance
  • Fatigue
  • Foot wear (boots, sneakers, 1990's AirPumps)
  • Rest room breaks
  • Time deciphering Smazza's crappy writing
  • Moon's gravitational pull
  • Food (Publix gives you 1000 bonus steps)
  • Time to wonder why you didn't just drive instead

...?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Took the hook...

I clicked on the link

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

A "debate" would imply that there was a pro side vs a con side. "Huge debate with a coworker" could mean that your employer's not getting his moneys worth. 

Sometimes one steps in a bucket of poo and comes out smelling like a rose... and you've got a lotta steps there.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Didn't they say the same thing about Alabama before and during Shula's tenure when they were having a hard time hiring and keeping a coach?  They were barely a .500 team and had major sanctions against them.  Wasn't until Saban was hired that they returned to being a powerhouse.

Didn't they say the same thing about USC football throughout the '90s when most years they were barely better than a .500 team, if that?

I don't know that U of South Carolina has ever truly been relevant in college football, but the year before Holtz went there they were 1-10.  Holtz' first year they were 0-11.  Wasn't until Spurrier got there that they started to move to a higher tier.

Like most college football teams, we took a step back (saying 500 steps back is ridiculous).  We seemingly have weeded out the dead wood in the administration (growing pains for the executives in charge) and the poor performing coaching staff.  

It sucks, but we were forced to rebuild the team and now have to rebuild the momentum.

No one knows how all this realignment will shake out.  The facts are that we had a good recruiting class with a highly regarded young coach.  let's see if has righted the ship and can move this program forward.  The good part is that we are sitting on some cash from the BE departees.  

I appreciate the replies even though they are mostly supercilious.

Regardless, it shows that this is a very active board. Shows favorably for USF as a whole.

I'm a bit worried for some of you as delusion appears to be running rampant here. LOL

Didn't they say the same thing about Alabama

Stopped reading here.

Comparing USF football to Alabama football is like comparing Salisbury Steak to Filet Mignon.