• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like he is being run out of town.

Good thing we're around to give him a half a million raise on his way out.

See that's just sad and it continues with Harlan. He reaches for coaches for and away when their are similar coaches closer. This time he offers a notorious poor floor coach/good recruiter at in Dave Rice at UNLV when you can find that a lot closer to home. To those that are actually supporting this hire, would you like for Anthony Grant or Andy Kennedy to be the head coach? If your answer is "No" then how can you be fine with Rice as Head Coach? Both Grant and Kennedy are known to be bad floor coaches/good recruiters too. Also like those two coaches, Rice will be on the Hot Seat next season if he stays at UNLV and probably is looking for another place to camp out for a while.

Dave Rice might be a fine human being but if he is worth offering a contract too? If so then Grant or Kennedy were just as or more deserving. Either one of them should stand a better chance at USF then UNLV's Dave Rice

Edited by Vega

Okay, from all the stuff that I've read, I think UNLV is going to let him go; they won't match our offer.

I think it's an 85% chance that he will accept our offer and be the next coach at USF -pending the background check!

1) The fans don't like his coaching. It's 50/50 on those who want to give him another year and those who want him out.

2) He feels the pressure to win without time to develop his players and one of his assistants just left to accept a head coaching job. But in a down year he had 20 wins!

3) He's a very good recruiter but a questionable floor coach, according to the fans.

4) Lots of years under Tarkanian and has always been around winning.

5) Very smart guy (with degrees!).

From my perspective, I think it's a gamble. But it's better than going with any number of other coaching candidates out there right now.

His player went as the #1 draft in the NBA...

Of course they're not. Why would they?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

See that's just sad and it continues with Harlan. He reaches for coaches for and away when their are similar coaches closer. This time he offers a notorious poor floor coach/good recruiter at in Dave Rice at UNLV when you can find that a lot closer to home. To those that are actually supporting this hire, would you like for Anthony Grant or Andy Kennedy to be the head coach? If your answer is "No" then how can you be fine with Rice as Head Coach? Both Grant and Kennedy are known to be bad floor coaches/good recruiters too. Also like those two coaches, Rice will be on the Hot Seat next season if he stays at UNLV and probably is looking for another place to camp out for a while.

Dave Rice might be a fine human being but if he is worth offering a contract too? If so then Grant or Kennedy were just as or more deserving. Either one of them should stand a better chance at USF then UNLV's Dave Rice

I take it we shall see. We couldve hired Smart and he couldve bombed. U dont know how he'll do here and you are entitled to ur opinion but come on man its the the end of the world. At least not yet. Lets talk in 2 years

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645

I don't think you can compare a guy in the mountain west to these two in the SEC... ALA was beat by Heath this year, no way he's a better hire and Kennedy has only one miracle run to the tourney under his belt as well.. Not saying Rice is anything spectacular but looking at their resumes he definitely looks like a better option than those two..

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  123
  • Days Won:  0

The dude got 70 wins in 3 seasons, sounds like an upgrade to me!

I know unlv has a top 50 espn recruit (sg) who committed but didn't sign yet, wonder if he follows his coach!

Thx

jonpfl

I don't think you can compare a guy in the mountain west to these two in the SEC... ALA was beat by Heath this year, no way he's a better hire and Kennedy has only one miracle run to the tourney under his belt as well.. Not saying Rice is anything spectacular but looking at their resumes he definitely looks like a better option than those two..

Heath beat Larry Brown too. Has beaten Bruce Pearl, Billy Donovan,  Pitino, Calhoun, Bill Self, Brady, etc. Not sure what that proves when a coach gets a win over another.

The more I think about it, Rice at UNLV is similar to Heath at Arkansas. Basically the same things are have been said about both.

The dude got 70 wins in 3 seasons, sounds like an upgrade to me!

I know unlv has a top 50 espn recruit (sg) who committed but didn't sign yet, wonder if he follows his coach!

Thx

jonpfl

He's not staying and will re-open his commitment. Not sure he follows Rice here but Morgan was heavy recruited by USF and if I'm no mistaken he did visit the campus. Should be somewhere in the recruiting thread if anyone wants to look it up. Back to work for me.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261

Anyone know what type of system does he run on offense and defense? I'm curious cause if he is going to run a boring offense like Heath's then i'd rather go after White

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Not good that this is getting leaked.

Unfortunately it's the day and age we live in

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

its funny how Ben Howland and Shaka are picks to replace him, but there is question whether they can match the salary

Surprised that nobody else has commented on that. If he leaves UNLV to come here, two of the top candidates to replace him are not top candidates here ... Either the writer is nuts or there's something else going on.

I think the writer was referring OUR opening. Either way, he's nuts!

From the wording, I'm pretty sure it was the UNLV job if it came open:

If UNLV cannot offer a competitive contract to South Florida’s offer, Rice could depart, leaving Kunzer-Murphy to search for his replacement.

Former UCLA coach Ben Howland, Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart and Cal State Northridge coach Reggie Theus, a former Rebels star, are considered the top candidates. 

Not sure why Reggie Theus would be a top candidate here.