• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One More Suggestion for New Head Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a USF grad and this is my first time posting to these forums, but I have been a follower for awhile. I have a suggestion for a possible coaching candidate. I know we all know who John Pelphrey is. And I think he'd be a great hire. However, after following Dayton in the Tournament this year and doing some research, I think Tom Ostrom should be mentioned as at least a thought. He got started in Minnesota and worked his way up the Florida team to assistant coach. Then he followed Pelphrey from team to team before he landed at Dayton. I read this article yesterday and thought he might be the tenacious recruiter we need to start bringing some of the state of Florida's talent to USF. What are your opinions on this guy? Not enough experience? Ready for the chance? Here's a link to the article I read yesterday that got me thinking.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20140327/tommy-ostrom-dayton-south-regional/?xid=nl_siextra

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

First and foremost, thank you for posting! Always great to have bulls on the boards...regardless of how crazy this place can be sometimes.

I've read more than once that USF should be looking at this guy. And now since making the elite 8 their staff is heating up. I think many would feel that an assistant coach from a small school is below us.

I hope we are leaving no stone unturned in this search.

Edited by Hem

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Welcome usfbulls22381.  Let me know if you need any help with any part of the forum.

Thanks Hem for the feedback and the welcome! Thank you too Bulliever! Glad to be a part of this new era!

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Interesting suggestion, and welcome aboard the Bullspen Express. Hang on for a bumpy ride.

Thanks Paisa....and yes, it should be an interesting ride to say the least. I'm kind of torn between coaches right now. Michael White sounds like he'd be a great hire. But after seeing Dayton play, I'm a believer in their staff. I'd love to see Archie Miller come our way, but with him just signing the extension, it looks like he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Let's let it play out and see what happens I guess. I know we all jump on these coaching staffs that over succeed in the tournament cuz their the hottest things out there at the time, so hopefully we don't make a hasty hire. But Ostrom has the praise of Donovan. So who knows....like you said, hang on for a bumpy ride!

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

I think Dayton is a better job than usf

they have a rich tradition

if he leaves Dayton it will be for a p5 conference

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

I think Dayton is a better job than usf

they have a rich tradition

if he leaves Dayton it will be for a p5 conference

We can offer money! $$$$$$

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Money...yes, but lets not discount the State of Florida.  I would imagine the State in which we live in is a big draw as well for many.  Heck, I will pick Tampa, FL over Dayton, Ohio any day, then add in the money that we can payout.  Quality of life is a big factor for coaches when deciding a place to move their families.  I think USF has a lot to offer and I hope we do not undermine ourselves. 

I think the Florida Sunshine would be a welcome change to the sub zero temperatures and snow....especially after the winter they went through this year. That alone has to be an attraction one would think. For Billy Donovan to give this guy a 2006 Championship ring even though he had already left the Florida coaching staff speaks volumes of what this guy is capable of.